Column: NFL's lack of discipline an endorsement of Greg Hardy's off-field behavior

Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy is a phenomenal football player, having racked up three sacks, a forced fumble and an interception in just three games so far this season.

Unfortunately, Hardy is a less than phenomenal person, as he was convicted in 2014 of throwing his then-girlfriend into a bathtub, onto the floor, onto a couch covered in assault rifles, and strangling her.

The issue with this situation has nothing to do with Hardy’s ability on the field. A 2014 Pro Bowler, Hardy tied the Carolina Panthers single-season sacks record with 15. The problem lies in the fact that the football player on the field and the person off the field are the same individual but are being treated as two separate beings.

Initially, Hardy was suspended for the first 10 games of the 2015 season, but that number was reduced to four following an appeal. When Hardy took the field against the New England Patriots on Oct. 11, the NFL sent a clear message that players do not have to be held accountable for their actions.

For those who would argue that everyone deserves a second chance, let me remind you that Hardy has been given not only a second chance, but also a third chance. In his first press conference this season, the former sixth-round pick said he was ready to "come out guns blazing” when he returned to the field, before making sexist comments regarding Tom Brady’s wife.

Hardy didn’t stop there. In the Cowboys’ Week 7 loss to the Giants, the hot-headed defensive end was seen shoving a coach on the sidelines and then getting into an argument with teammate Dez Bryant. After the game, team owner Jerry Jones claimed to have no issue with Hardy’s behavior, making the excuse that Hardy is simply an emotional player.

In essence, Hardy lives a double life, spending Sundays terrorizing quarterbacks, and the other days failing to take responsibility for his actions. The NFL and the Cowboys treat Hardy as two separate people, which allows them to act as if they employ only Greg Hardy the football player, and not the man who can't even pretend to respect women for the duration of a 10-minute press conference.

But, as it turns out, the on-the-field Hardy and off-the-field Hardy are the same person.

Hardy’s lack of awareness is absolutely appalling, and one of the best perspectives on this situation comes from New York Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall. Marshall was arrested multiple times on domestic violence charges prior to being diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, prompting him to stay out of legal trouble and become a spokesperson for the disease.

“When I look at Greg [Hardy] and how he's handled himself, on the field and in the locker room, I see a guy that is not aware," Marshall said on Showtime's "Inside the NFL," after discussing the proper way to act following such a monumental legal issue. "He doesn't understand the magnitude of what happened last year, what he did and the atmosphere surrounding the NFL.”

When only considering on-the-field ability, Hardy absolutely belongs in the NFL, as he is one of the league’s best defensive linemen. However, being a professional athlete is an incredible privilege, not a right. Had a normal civilian committed the brutal acts of violence that Hardy carried out, that person would most likely be locked up in prison for a number of years.

We cannot allow our professional athletes to be above the law. Not only has Hardy committed unacceptable crimes, but he has continued to act inappropriately and displayed an incredible lack of awareness and remorse. Because of his actions, Hardy no longer deserves the privilege of being praised for his talents on the football field.