USC dance department is 'On Pointe'

The University of South Carolina Dance Company is taking over the Koger Center for the Arts for the weekend to perform their evening of ballet, “On Pointe,” a collection of both classic and innovative ballet pieces that all feature — you guessed it — dozens of USC dancers on their toes in pointe shoes.

“On Pointe” will feature four diverse works by four different choreographers — all performed by USC undergraduate students. The evening of dance will begin with the iconic work “Serenade,” choreographed by George Balanchine, which will be followed by “Pax,” a work created by new USC dance faculty member Madeline Jazz Harvey. After a brief intermission, the performance will continue with a contemporary piece choreographed by guest choreographer Shaun Boyle entitled “Momentary Diversions.” The night will finish with Act I of the classical story ballet “Sylvia,” choreographed originally by Sir Frederick Ashton and restaged for USC by guest teacher Kathryn Long.

Both the dancers and faculty have been working around the clock to refine the performance’s choreography. The dancers have rehearsed tirelessly, meticulously balancing their academic, social and dance lives to produce “On Pointe.”

Second-year dance performance major Ali Turetzky, will dance a lead, Waltz Girl, in “Serenade,” as well as the starring role of Sylvia in “Sylvia.” She has been rehearsing the ballet while also completing her college coursework.

“Dancing at this level, while still being a college student is a huge balancing act. I feel like we all have two lives. One being the dance side where we put in hours on end and are in the studio forever,” Turetzky said. “But the other side is just normal college life. It is hard having classes from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. sometimes, but I personally feel like it is 100 percent worth it when I step back and realize what amazing opportunities I have been given here at USC.”

The hard work and collaboration have combined to form a beautiful and diverse program. The pieces all spring from varied eras and choreographers, giving the audience a thorough sampling of classical, neoclassical and contemporary ballet styles, as well as showing both plotless and story works.

USC Dance Company artistic director Susan Anderson wants non-dance students at USC to realize they are an important part of the USC Department of Theatre and Dance's audience.

“They’re our audience of the future. We come to the University of South Carolina not just to become educated, but to become cultured,” Anderson said. “And one day we want them to bring their children to a dance concert.”

“On Pointe” will be performed Nov. 12 to 13 at 7:30 p.m. at the Koger Center. Tickets are $12 for students and $18 for the general public and can be purchased through the Koger Center Box Office.

The performance is a great choice for unique weekend entertainment and will give all types of audiences a glimpse of the ballet world that will appeal to them individually.

“This show has [four] completely different, but incredible pieces being performed," Turetzky said. "You won’t be sitting through a 3-hour story ballet. You will see modern, classical and contemporary works ... and your peers are the ones performing, which I think is really exciting. I think everyone will find something in this performance that they can relate to.”