Volleyball finishes season with loss

While they snagged one final win of the season on Wednesday against Arkansas, the South Carolina volleyball team’s season officially came to an end Friday night when they were swept at Missouri. 

The Gamecocks traveled to Arkansas to begin their final road trip of the 2015 season, looking for their second win against the Razorbacks. Both teams fought all throughout the first set, but the Gamecocks were just able to squeeze past to take the first it 25-23.

The Razorbacks took advantage of some Gamecock errors in the second set and went on the net with a 25-18 win to tie the match at 1.

The third set was another close one where Arkansas held the lead for most of the time, but the Gamecocks tied it at 20 and fought back to take another 25-23 win and reclaim the lead.

Looking for a comeback in the fourth set, Arkansas took an early 12-4 lead and never looked back. The Gamecocks tried to climb back, but the Razorbacks tied the match again with a 25-17 win.

South Carolina entered the fifth hoping for their second fifth-set win of the season. The Gamecocks took an early lead and were able to hold off Arkansas to win the set 15-10 and win the match 3-2. This makes South Carolina 2-3 for the season in five-set matches.

South Carolina then headed to Missouri for their final match of the year.

The Gamecocks did not have as much luck here as they could not hold onto an early lead in the first set, and then failed to shut down the Tigers the rest of the match. The Tigers completely dominated the Gamecocks in a 3-0 sweep (25-14, 25-20, 25-16).

Senior Sarah Blomgren finished her senior season with over 300 kills. Junior Dessaa Legros also finished the season with over 300. Senior Darian Dozier finished her career in South Carolina’s top ten in blocks.

South Carolina finishes their season 13-18 overalla and 6-12 in the SEC.