In Brief: 12/1/15

Lakers’ Kobe Bryant to retire after 2015-16 season

In a letter entitled “Dear Basketball” to the The Players’ Tribune, Los Angeles Lakers' shooting guard Kobe Bryant, 37, announced the current NBA season will be his last. In the letter, which reads more like a poem, Bryant says: “My heart can take the pounding / My mind can handle the grind / But my body knows it’s time to say goodbye.” Bryant entered the NBA in 1996, drafted by the Charlotte Hornets at 17 years old. Shortly after being drafted, Bryant was subsequently traded to the Lakers, where he would spend the entirety of his 20-year NBA career. Over that span, Bryant has won five NBA championships, been selected to the NBA All-Star game 17 times, been selected to 11 All-NBA First Teams and was awarded the NBA Most Valuable Player during the 2007-08 season.

Planned Parenthood shooting suspect makes initial court appearance

ABC News reported Monday that Robert Dear, the man suspected of killing three and injuring nine more at a Colorado Springs, Colorado, Planned Parenthood clinic made his first appearance in court through video. Authorities are still investigating the shooting and standoff, and it is still unclear what Dear’s motives were, although his comments during the incident suggest that he holds anti-Obama beliefs and disagrees with Planned Parenthood’s practices. Dear faces multiple charges of first-degree murder, although his formal charging will take place on Dec. 9. In the court appearance, Dear is seen wearing a padded jacket that officials are calling a “suicide prevention garment.” Dear is being held without bail.

Former USC men’s soccer assistant indicted on sexual exploitation, child porn charges

According to The State, Roberto Molinary Jr., 49, of Columbia is facing federal charges of sexual exploitation of children and possessing and receiving child pornography. Molinary served as an assistant coach for the USC men’s soccer team from April 2005 to August 2012. The indictment against him states that from the end of his tenure at USC to January 2013, Molinary induced one minor to engage in child pornography. The charges against Molinary carry a maximum sentence of 70 years in prison. Molinary’s lawyer, Peter Shahid of Charleston has said Molinary has pleaded not guilty and “looks forward to the trial."