In Brief: 1/11/16

Actor met with drug trafficker months before his arrest

According to CNN and Rolling Stone, months after Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman escaped from Mexican prison he met with actor and activist Sean Penn 

in an undisclosed location. In a Rolling Stone article published Saturday, Penn wrote of his meeting and interview with Guzman, who was taken into custody Friday following a shootout with authorities. Mexican authorities intend to question both Penn and actress Kate del Castillo, a Mexican actress who brokered the meeting between the Hollywood actor and the drug lord.

Dabo Swinney's brother arrested in Florida

The State reported that Tripp Swinney, the 47-year-old brother of Clemson head football coach Dabo Swinney, was arrested Tuesday in Bay County, Florida, following claims from his estranged wife that he continually harassed and cyberstalked her. In October, Tripp Swinney’s wife told him to cease all communication with her and filed for an order of protection. “Unfortunately, he’s had a long history of not doing the right things,” the Tigers’ head coach said of his brother’s arrest. Panama City News-Herald describes Swinney’s charges as “aggravated stalking.”

Powerball jackpot is largest in history of the world

According to ABC News, the Powerball Lottery jackpot has grown to an estimated $1.3 billion. This amount is the largest jackpot in the history of the planet, according to Texas Lottery Executive Director Gary Grief. After the prize swelled to over $900 million on Saturday, no ticket holders were able to match all six numbers. The prize is so large now that many lottery billboards across the U.S. are unable to advertise the full prize as they are not built to show numbers in the billions. The odds to win the mega-prize are one in 292.2 million. The prize has grown from starting at $40 million Nov. 4.