Around the Horn: Looking at the starting pitching

Leading up to the Gamecocks' opening weekend against Albany, there was a healthy competition among pitchers trying to earn a spot in the weekend rotation. Throughout the fall, it was thought likely that Clarke Schmidt would start the first game of season. On Monday, coach Chad Holbrook officially announced that not only would Schmidt start the first game, but that freshman Braden Webb and junior Taylor Widener would join him in the opening series weekend rotation. 

Clarke Schmidt takes over as the Friday night starter for the Gamecocks in 2016 after spending his freshman season in the Sunday starter role. He’ll have big shoes to fill as last year’s Friday night starter, Wil Crowe, isn’t expected to pitch in 2016 due to being in recovery from Tommy John surgery.

In 2015, Schmidt had a 4.81 ERA with 55 strikeouts in 58 innings.

Baseball America recently named Schmidt the No. 7 prospect on their top 10 SEC prospect rankings for the 2017 draft. Coach Holbrook has given glowing reports of Schmidt throughout the fall and expects big things from the sophomore right-hander in 2016.

Braden Webb, a 6-foot-2, 195-pound, right-hander from Owasso, Oklahoma, will make his collegiate debut on Saturday. Webb was regarded as one of the top prep prospects in Oklahoma by Perfect Game. Landing Webb and keeping him from going pro was a big break for South Carolina. After being selected in the 38th round in the 2015 MLB draft by the Indians, Webb ended up honoring his commitment. He is expected to make a big impact as a freshman and could potentially be a Friday night starter down the road for the Gamecocks.

Live-armed junior Widener will transition to the rotation this year after pitching mostly as the closer in the bullpen last season. Widener had a strong summer for the Lexington Blowfish in the Coastal Plain League. Baseball America named him the No. 2 prospect in the league at the end of the summer, which gave him plenty of momentum heading into the 2016 season. Widener will take the ball Sunday versus Albany to round out the weekend rotation. 

Adam Hill is another member of the Gamecocks' talented freshmen class who made a favorable impression in the fall. Hill is a lanky 6-foot-5, 180-pound, right-handed pitcher from Anderson, South Carolina, and pitched at T.L. Hannah High School last spring.  He was named a top 10 high school prospect in the state by Perfect Game and was selected in the 39th round by the Padres in the 2015 draft.  He is expected to make starts in the midweek games but could get a look as a weekend starter at some point, too.

The coaching staff also likes what they have seen from crafty junior left-hander Josh Reagan. He is projected to start out in a midweek role, but he also could get a look as a weekend starter in the future.