Jones leads Gamecocks to weekend sweep, 8-0 record

South Carolina capped off a successful weekend by defeating Penn State on Sunday 4-2.

RHP Taylor Widenergot the start but didn’t have his best outing. He went 4.2 innings, giving up seven hits and two earned runs while only walking two and striking out four. RHP Reed Scott got his first win of the year, throwing 3.1 innings of hitless relief. LHP Josh Reagan recorded his second save of the season.

Penn State got on the board first with an RBI single after a leadoff double to start the game. The Gamecocks bounced back in the bottom half as they scored on a throwing error.

The offense had cooled down from the first two games, as the Gamecocks had missed opportunities and left seven men on base during the game.

Sophomore John Jones continued to shine, going 3-for-3 with a bases-loaded 2-run single in the third.

Although he did not produce a lot offensively, senior DC Arendas played strong defense to keep Penn State out of scoring positions. Arendas had two hits in the series but his consistently strong defense is what helped the Gamecocks out.

Senior Marcus Mooney sat out for Sunday’s game as a precaution due to a hamstring injury, said head coach Chad Holbrook. LT Tolbert took over at short and played well, and Holbrook commented on his player’s versatility.

“He did fine,” Holbrook said. “LT is going to be a really good player for us; he already is ... I have the utmost confidence in him playing shortstop, or second base or third base or first base, he’ll handle himself fine.”

Jones was a standout this weekend, reaching first in all 14 of his plate appearances. He went 8-for-8 in the series with six walks, four runs, two home runs, 10 RBIs and an OBP of 1.000. He hit his first career grand slam in Saturday’s contest.

Holbrook also has another option behind the plate in freshman Chris Cullen. Cullen picked up an RBI in both Friday and Sunday’s games. Having Jones and Cullen as trusty catchers that can produce gives him some options, also allowing Jones to be designated hitter on some nights.

Sophomore Alex Destino also had a good weekend. He hit two home runs in Saturday’s game, including a grand slam in the sixth, the second of his career.

Arendas had some strong playing time over the weekend. He played well both offensively and defensively, recording three hits on the weekend. Arendas was someone Holbrook wanted to step up, and he was pleased with the outcome of the weekend.

Friday’s starter Clarke Schmidt proved that he is deserving of the Friday slot. Through seven innings, he only gave up one hit and one walk. Reliable starters is something the Gamecocks have struggled with recently, so having Schmidt can give Holbrook some room to relax.

South Carolina remains undefeated at 8-0. They will travel to the Citadel for their first road game of the season on Tuesday before facing rival Clemson in a three-game series this weekend.