Life After Football: Catching Up with George Rogers

The legacy of South Carolina legend George Rogers will live forever in the grainy game films, his 1980 Heisman Trophy and his new bronze statue that now guards Williams-Brice Stadium. After his famed career at South Carolina, Rogers went on to win a ring with the Washington Redskins in the 1988 Super Bowl. However, Rogers did not park the bus after his football career came to an end following the 1987 season. In an exclusive interview with The Daily Gamecock, the former football star discussed his new life as an ambassador and a humanitarian.

Rogers' numbers during his time in Columbia were staggering. Rogers averaged 5.5 yards per carry during his four year collegiate career, with that number spiking to a whopping 6 yards per attempt during his Heisman season when he ran for 1,781 yards in just 11 games. During that legendary season, Rogers averaged 163 yards per game. For comparison, this season the Gamecocks only had a player run for more than 100 total yards four times, and never for more than 128 yards.

No. 38 was a workhorse. He took handoff after handoff, pushing the pile, picking up yards and moving the chains. He carried the ball 954 times at South Carolina, which is over 250 more carries than the next highest player. He is tied for second in career rushing touchdowns with 31.

After leaving his fingerprints all over the USC record books, Rogers moved on to the National Football League. Drafted No. 1 overall in 1981 by the New Orleans Saints, he did not disappoint. He led the league in rushing his rookie year and made a Pro Bowl. Unfortunately, nagging injuries eventually derailed his professional career after just seven seasons.

Rogers still keeps up with football on all levels. He is pulling for the Panthers in the Super Bowl and he helps in the recruiting process for South Carolina. He fully supports the new staff at USC, saying that "[Coach Will Muschamp] hit the ground with both feet and he is starting to run now.”

Rogers’ approach to retirement is not unlike his approach to football. The former running back is still always on the move, but, instead of dashing towards the end zone, he now constantly travels the greater South Carolina area. Rogers appears at Gamecock Club events, high schools and basically anywhere that loves Gamecock football. As he moves, so does his Heisman trophy.

“It's over the fireplace, sometimes I keep it in the car … go out and take pictures with it and sign autographs,”  Rogers said. “It's active, I can tell you that.”  Rogers, so gracious with his time and his trophy, never forgets where it all began. 

On representing the University of South Carolina wherever he goes: “College was the best time I ever had," he said. “I like doing that more than I like doing anything else.”

His primary endeavor following his football career has been the George Rogers Foundation. The foundation’s mission is to provide scholarships to students who are attempting to become the first college graduate in their family — just as Rogers was.

“If I didn’t have a chance to get a scholarship, I wouldn’t have gotten to school,” Rogers said.

The foundation looks to connect students who excel both on the playing field and in the classroom. The George Rogers Foundation, established 25 years ago, is for students in North Carolina and South Carolina who are close to slipping through the cracks of the education system. In those cases, the foundation steps in and provides scholarships that help cover the cost of tuition and books. In addition, the foundation supports non-profit organizations geared towards childhood education. Rogers also has a scholarship here at USC for the Hospitality, Retail and Sports Management department.

The foundation’s biggest fundraisers are the Gala and Silent Auction and a celebrity golf tournament. Both events are slated for late June. The golf tournament will be attended by numerous Gamecock greats, as well as other famous athletes. “It’s gonna be bigger than it's ever been, and that’s how it should be," Rogers said.

It would be natural to rest on his fame and accomplishments during his retirement, but Rogers is using his Heisman to give others a chance to make their mark.