Looking at the 2016 SEC all-league team

The SEC is the one of the nation's premier conferences for college baseball. Over the past seven years, the league has produced four NCAA champions. Some of the most exciting prospects in college baseball populate the rosters in the conference. Here is a look at some of the top players to watch in 2016.

Catcher: J.J. Schwarz, Sophomore, Florida

Schwarz should split time behind the dish with teammate Mike Rivera for the Gators this spring, but his bat is so special that he will be the designated hitter even when he doesn’t catch. Schwarz was the co-winner of the 2015 Louisville Slugger Freshman of the Year Award, slugging .629 on the year. He connected for four homeruns in a single game against Stetson last spring, breaking a school record.

First Base: Alex Destino, Sophomore, South Carolina

The production hasn’t necessarily matched the potential to this point, but Destino did show glimpses of his elite raw power during his freshman campaign. Destino made strides improving his approach this summer playing in the Coastal Plain League and will look to take a step forward to become one of the top left-handed hitters in the SEC this season.

Second Base: Rick Nomura, Senior, Arkansas

Nomura is a seasoned veteran for the Razorbacks who provides solid offensive and defensive production at second base. Last season the Hawaii native hit .298 and reached base at a .370 clip while playing a key role in his team’s journey to Omaha. 

Third Base: Nick Senzel, Junior, Tennessee

Senzel is one of the best pure hitters in the country and improved his stock this summer in the prestigious Cape Cod League. Senzel hit .364 on the Cape and was named the league’s MVP and top prospect. He will likely be a first-round pick in the 2016 draft if he stays healthy and continues to produce.

Shortstop: Errol Robinson, Junior, Ole Miss

Robinson doesn’t have much in the way of power, but he does everything else well. He is an exceptional defender with deep range to both sides. His line-drive stroke helped him lead Ole Miss with 62 hits in 2015.

Outfield: Nick Banks, Junior, Texas A&M

Banks anchors a loaded Texas A&M lineup and is one of the premier position players in the country. As a sophomore, he slashed .364/.450/.536. Banks was selected to the Collegiate National Team where he hit .386 this past summer.

Outfield: Buddy Reed, Junior, Florida

Reed’s graceful actions in centerfield make professional scouts drool. He is an elite athlete and a former high school hockey star that has transformed into a five-tool player on the diamond. Reed also spent the summer playing for Team USA and is considered one of the top players in the 2016 MLB draft class.

Outfield: Bryan Reynolds, Junior, Vanderbilt

Reynolds played a key role in getting Vanderbilt to the National Championship in each of the past two seasons. As a sophomore, he hit .318 and stole 17 bases in 19 attempts. He is a switch-hitter with gap power from both sides of the plate. 

Starting Pitcher:  A.J. Puk, Junior, Florida

Puk’s teammate Logan Shore put up better stats in terms of run prevention last year, but when he is locked in, Puk is one of the most dominating pitchers in the country. The 6-foot-7 southpaw fanned 104 batters in just 78 frames during his sophomore season. During the postseason, he posted a 1.54 ERA in four starts. Puk’s fastball registers in the mid-90s and he enters the season as one of the candidates for No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Relief Pitcher: Zach Jackson, Junior, Arkansas

Jackson gives the Razorbacks an elite closer in high-leverage situations. Last season he recorded a 2.10 ERA and notched nine saves. If needed, he could also slide into the rotation, but his power arm certainly gives his team an advantage late in games.