South Carolina remains perfect in SEC play

<p>Guard Khadijah Sessions played a key role in South Carolina's victory over Alabama.</p>
Guard Khadijah Sessions played a key role in South Carolina's victory over Alabama.

The No. 3 ranked South Carolina women's basketball team improved to 26-1 after defeating Alabama 66-46 on the road. The Gamecocks now stand a perfect 14-0 in conference play, while the Crimson Tide falls to 3-11. 

South Carolina's smothering defense was the story of the night, holding Alabama to a point total approximately 20 below their season average.

Alabama shot aggressively from behind the arc during the first half, but that strategy didn't prove to be successful for them as they were just two for 18 in three-point attempts. 

Senior center Alaina Coates dominated the glass by grabbing 11 rebounds in the first half. She went on to break her career-high with 18 rebounds. 

As a team, South Carolina really won this game through its rebounding efforts, compiling 53 total boards. Their advantage there helped them score second-chance opportunities on a night where the team wasn't shooting particularly well. In addition to Coates' tremendous effort, Khadijah Sessions and A'ja Wilson scrapped double-digit rebound totals. 

Wilson paced the Gamecocks in scoring with 16 points. Alabama's Shaquera Wade was the only member of her team that really managed to penetrate South Carolina's formidable defense by finishing with 11 points.

South Carolina will continue its road swing against a struggling Ole Miss team on Thursday at 9 p.m.