No. 1 Gamecocks to host Atlantic Sun Conference champs

<p>A'ja Wilson and the Gamecocks will look to begin their path back to the Final Four against Jacksonville.&nbsp;</p>
A'ja Wilson and the Gamecocks will look to begin their path back to the Final Four against Jacksonville. 

As South Carolina's women's basketball team looks to navigate its way through tournament play, it will host Jacksonville in the first round. The NCAA awarded South Carolina the No. 1 seed in the Sioux Falls region and the No. 2 overall seed in the tournament.

Jacksonville will be making its first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance and it will have to carry it's momentum into Friday's matchup with South Carolina. The Dolphins made a 13-point comeback to win the Atlantic Sun Championship against Florida Gulf Coast. Jacksonville took its first lead of the second half when sophomore guard Brandi Buie hit the game-winning jumpshot with three seconds left. 

The Dolphins finished with a 22-10 record. In conference play, they posted a mark of 11-3. Like South Carolina, they excel defensively, holding opponents to just 53.9 points per game this season. 

To combat Jacksonville’s defensive prowess, South Carolina will rely on its leading scorers: forward A'ja Wilson and guard Tiffany Mitchell. The duo averaged a combined 31.4 points per game this season. 

South Carolina will look to use its superior physicality in the frontcourt to dominate the glass. Center Alaina Coates recorded 10.1 rebounds per game, while Wilson added 8.7 boards on average. 

Coates, Wilson and Mitchell were named to the AP All-SEC First Team on Tuesday. Coach Dawn Staley was named AP Coach of the Year. 

Friday's game will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Colonial Life Arena. If the Gamecocks advance in the tournament, they will stay home until the Sweet Sixteen, when they will play in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.