Nunez could miss entire spring

The first major development in the race for the next South Carolina quarterback took place Saturday as rising sophomore quarterback Lorenzo Nunez suffered a knee injury that could sideline him for the entire spring. Despite strong pushes from the coaching staff, Nunez was not an early enrollee last spring, which gave him little time to prepare. While many wanted Nunez to be the main man under center last fall, he started just two games, playing in eight games total, while throwing just 52 passes. He was second on the the team with 375 rushing yards, but the Gamecocks were tied with Vanderbilt for the 11th-best rushing offense in the SEC.

Coming into spring practice, Nunez was just one of five quarterbacks competing for the starting job in the fall, joining Connor Mitch, Perry Orth, early-enrollee Brandon McIlwain and Michael Scarnecchia. Mitch started the first two games of the season before suffering a season-ending injury, which opened the door for Orth. Orth went just 1-7 in his eight starts last season, throwing 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions. Scarnecchia, who will be a redshirt sophomore in the upcoming season, has thrown just one pass in his collegiate career (a 9-yard completion late in the LSU game last year) and isn't considered to be much of a threat in the quarterback competition.

Nunez's injury could have the greatest impact on McIlwain, however, as many believe the competition is the freshman's to win. McIlwain was a four-star recruit who also plays outfield for the South Carolina baseball team, and he might be the most important recruit in the 2016 class. While expecting the freshman to win the starting job outright and excel might be a stretch, the injury to the only other dual-threat quarterback could open the door for McIlwain if coach Will Muschamp and offensive coordinator Kurt Roper decide to go with a spread look on offense.

All five scholarship quarterbacks were receiving first-team reps during the first week of practice, and the other four will continue to split time with the first team during Nunez's absence. Muschamp wants to narrow down the competition as soon as possible, but "Coach Boom" isn't in a huge rush to name a starter as he wants to avoid making the wrong decision.