Black team defeats the Garnet team in 2016 spring practice game

With 32,916 fans in attendance for Will Muschamp and his coach staff’s official debut as Gamecocks, the Black team dominated, defeating the Garnet team 35-14.

With redshirt senior Perry Orth sidelined by a broken collarbone, true freshman Brandon McIlwain got the start for the Black team. By halftime, McIlwain had already racked up 106 yards through the air on 13 completion of 17 attempts with two touchdowns. He ended the afternoon 18 of 22 for 145 yards and two touchdowns.

Freshman Bryan Edwards caught both of McIlwain’s touchdown passes in the first half for two of his three catches.

Connor Mitch was the second quarterback out for co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Kurt Roper. He went 9 for 16 with 139 yards and a touchdown while playing for both the Garnet and Black teams.

Redshirt freshman Devin Dingle lead the Garnet team in receiving with 35 yards, and redshirt freshman Javon Charleston was the leader for the Black team with 54 yards.

On the defensive side of the game, linebacker Sherrod Pittman had seven tackles in the game. Sophomore Boosie Whitlow got the quarterback twice on the day. Senior Rico McWilliams was called to cover the number one receiver on Garnet side of the ball and had two breakups and an almost interception.