South Carolina outlasts Tennessee in 7-4 victory

South Carolina improved to 9-2 in SEC play with a series-clinching 7-4 victory over Tennessee. Freshman starter Braden Webb improved to 7-1 on the season.

After Tennessee scored in the top half of the first inning, South Carolina responded with four runs. A critical error by left fielder Vincent Jackson initiated the rally, and the Gamecocks capitalized on his mistake by getting three hits in the inning, including a two-run double from catcher Chris Cullen.

Tennessee took advantage of a few fastballs that Webb left down Main Street to score three runs in the first two innings. Webb once again flashed excellent stuff that missed bats when he stayed around the fringes of the zone, but the Volunteers did tag him for four runs on plenty of hard contact when he missed locations.

Fortunately for Webb, shortstop Marcus Mooney and second baseman DC Arendas were able to turn a key double play to quell Tennessee's second-inning rally. On the defense behind him, Webb stated, "I was really blessed today that my teammates backed me up even though I gave up quite a few hits. Something that I got to work on is letting my teammates do their job. I don't always need to be the guy that is going out there trying to do it all himself."

After getting off to a rough start, the freshman right-hander did improve throughout the outing. In the sixth inning he fanned three batters, and, in his final full frame, he worked his first clean inning. Webb finished with 10 strikeouts in 7.1 innings, marking the third-consecutive start that he has reached double-digits.

Shortstop Macus Mooney broke a 4-4 tie in the bottom of the sixth with an infield single to score Cullen. After reaching first, Mooney got picked off but managed to get hung up between first and second base long enough for right fielder TJ Hopkins to score from third to give South Carolina an insurance run.

South Carolina's cleanup hitter and first baseman Alex Destino was once again out of the lineup after sustaining a shoulder injury in the series against Vanderbilt. On Destino's status going forward, Holbrook noted, "I think he's day-to-day. I think he's really close. He might can go tomorrow, but we'll see. I'll make the judgment on how he is doing in batting practice tomorrow and how he looks when he is playing catch."

The Gamecocks will go for their third sweep in SEC play on Sunday. First pitch is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.