Golf faces challenge in SEC tournament

South Carolina's men's golf team has yet to win an SEC Championship in 25 tournament appearances, but they will enter this weekend's tournament in St. Simons Island, Georgia, ranked No. 13 in the country. 

The tournament will be held at Sea Island Golf Club, listed as a par-70 course. 

South Carolina's lineup includes a healthy mix of experienced veterans and talented underclassmen. Seniors Matt NeSmith, Will Starke and Sean Kelly will be looking to bring home a championship in their final collegiate season. The lineup also features sophomore Keenan Huskey and freshman Scott Stevens.

NeSmith is the catalyst in South Carolina's lineup and one of the most decorated golfers in the program's history. He was named the 2013 SEC Co-Freshman of the Year and was also a member of the All-SEC First Team in 2015. He has twice been named the SEC Men's Golfer of the Week this season.

The Gamecocks will also rely on Huskey to continue his consistent play in the tournament. The freshman is averaging 72.0 strokes this season, good for second-best in their lineup. Fortunately for South Carolina, Huskey is currently playing his best golf of the season and was named the SEC Men's Golfer of the Week for April 6.

South Carolina will have to navigate a tough field that includes three teams ranked in the top 10 in the country: No. 4 Georgia, No. 6 Auburn and No. 7 Vanderbilt. Play begins Friday and will run through Sunday.