Road Trip Towns: Murrells Inlet, SC

Located just south of Myrtle Beach on the coast of South Carolina, Murrells Inlet offers a relaxing atmosphere with great waterfront dining, boutique shopping, outdoor activities and an incredible view. 

Murrells Inlet, deemed the “Seafood Capital” of the state, boasts a lineup of waterfront restaurants that serve delicious, locally caught seafood. Situated right on the inlet, the restaurants offer an unbelievable view and many also bring live entertainment from local music groups. Lee’s Inlet Kitchen has been family-owned for generations and serves fresh, homestyle seafood and hushpuppies that are to die for. Some other great spots are Nance’s Creekfront Restaurant, which is known for its local oysters, and Wicked Tuna, which offers a unique cuisine of seafood and sushi.

Also celebrated for its fun and relaxed nightlife, Murrells Inlet is home to many creekfront bars, including Wahoo’s Bar and Hot Fish Club, which serve delicious drinks and the best live entertainment. 

In addition to dining and nightlife, Murrells Inlet is also recognized for its outdoor activities and must-see locations. Perhaps the most notable is the beautiful and historical Marsh Walk — a walkway between the restaurants and docks along the creek where people can enjoy happy hour, live music, fireworks, a breathtaking view and each other’s company. Visitors can also explore the inlet on boat tours or relax in the sun at the neighboring Garden City Beach, where there are several public beach access points as well as a pier that is perfect for sightseeing. 

For those who love to shop, the Hammock Shops, just south of the inlet, features a charming village of small boutiques and galleries that offers art, clothing, candies and other unique gifts. Another local favorite is Lee’s Farmers Market, where guests can peruse gourmet breads, cheeses, seafoods and assorted wines all made with ingredients from local farmers.  

From its booming restaurant scene to its unparalleled views and friendly charm, this town embodies community and character. Locals and visitors alike will agree that a weekend in Murrells Inlet is a weekend well spent.