In Brief: 7/26/16

Purple martins return to roost over Lake Murray

Bird lovers are flocking to Lake Murray to watch the annual migration of thousands of purple martins, The State reports. The bird are making their return to one of the species' largest roosts on Bomb Island. Scientists are excited by this year’s numbers after the birds didn’t appear in 2014 and showed up in much smaller numbers in 2015. It is thought that at one point more than one million birds participated in the migration.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey

Clinton addresses veterans in Charlotte

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton made a swing through the Carolinas to highlight her foreign policy chops at the VFW Convention, The Charlotte Observer reports. En route to her own nominating convention in Philadelphia, she sought to make inroads with the demographic that she has struggled to gain an advantage with. Clinton, who served as secretary of state during President Obama’s first term, has made her experience in foreign affairs a central issue in her campaign. Republican nominee Donald Trump will address the VFW on Tuesday after an earlier campaign stop in Winston-Salem.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey

23 SC roads still closed from flood damage

Ten months after historic flooding devastated communities throughout the Palmetto State, 23 roads are still closed due to damage, WIS reports. This damage was caused by dam failures triggered by the over two feet of rain that fell in South Carolina in October. The floods also destroyed and damaged 38,000 homes.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey