Sanders endorses Clinton, drops out of presidential race

Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders face off in a debate moderated by Univision and the Washington Post at Miami-Dade College Kendall Campus on Wednesday, March 9, 2016, in Miami. (Carolyn Cole/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

After a hard-fought primary for the Democratic presidential nomination, Bernie Sanders endorsed his rival Hillary Clinton on Tuesday and ended his campaign.

Appearing on a stage in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, that was framed by twin banners reading "Stronger Together," Sanders and Clinton embraced each other with smiles and delivered lengthy speeches about their shared vision for America. But the most important words came from Sanders soon after he took the stage.

"Secretary Clinton has won the Democratic nominating process, and I congratulate her for that," Sanders said as cheers erupted at the rally. "She will be the Democratic nominee for president, and I intend to do everything I can to make certain she will be the next president of the United States." 

Sanders won one of his biggest victories of the primary campaign in New Hampshire by defeating Clinton with over 60 percent of the vote. However, only a few weeks later Sanders lost in South Carolina by a landslide despite campaigning extensively in the state, including at the Russell House. The loss significantly stalled his campaign's momentum.

Sanders, who had been the longest-serving Independent in congressional history representing Vermont in the House and Senate, did not equivocate in his support for the Democratic presumptive nominee Tuesday. 

"I have come here to make it as clear as possible as to why I am endorsing Hillary Clinton and why she must become our next president," he said. 

Clinton took the stage after Sanders. "With your help, we are joining forces to defeat Donald Trump, win in November, and yes, together, build a future we can all believe in," she said. 

Indeed, Clinton and Sanders both attacked Trump profusely throughout their remarks. "Now, I can just envision the tweets Donald is putting together," Clinton said at one point, drawing laughs from the audience.

True to Clinton's prediction, Trump did respond to the rally on Twitter. The Republican presumptive nominee accused Sanders of betraying his beliefs by endorsing Clinton.

"I am somewhat surprised that Bernie Sanders was not true to himself and his supporters. They are not happy that he is selling out!" Trump tweeted Tuesday morning.  He followed that up with several more tweets pointing out the differences between the two candidates.

"It is no secret that Hillary Clinton and I disagree on a number of issues," Sanders said Tuesday. "But I am happy to tell you ... there was a significant coming together between the two campaigns, and we produced, by far, the most progressive platform in the history of the Democratic Party." 

The creation of the platform for the Democratic convention later this month in Philadelphia saw Clinton merge several ideas from Sanders with those coming from her campaign. One of the most notable is Clinton's new higher education funding plan, which would eliminate tuition at public colleges and universities for children of low-income and middle-class families.

"Thanks to the new proposal Senator Sanders and I worked on together, for families making less than $125,000 a year, we will eliminate tuition at those schools altogether," Clinton said Tuesday.

Clinton praised the "political revolution" that Sanders started with his campaign, particularly with younger voters.

"Throughout this campaign, Senator Sanders has brought people off the sidelines and into the political process," Clinton said. "He has energized and inspired a generation of young people who care deeply about our country and are building a movement that is bigger than one candidate or one campaign."

Clinton highlighted what she called "five ambitious goals" that she would focus on as president in areas ranging from job creation and raising wages to tax reform to reforming social programs. She also addressed the recent protests over police brutality and the massacre of police officers in Dallas. 

But Clinton closed her speech by pledging to work for several ideas Sanders championed during his campaign, including campaign finance reform and increased voter turnout. She also praised his supporters.

"To everyone here and everyone across the country who poured your heart and soul into Senator Sanders' campaign, thank you," she said. "Our country desperately needs your voices and involvement. And so does this campaign. And so does the Democratic Party." 

Clinton also made a pledge to Sanders' supporters.

"You will always have a seat at the table when I am in the White House," she said.