Trump introduces Pence as VP pick

Donald Trump formally introduced Indiana Gov. Mike Pence as his running mate and choice for vice president Saturday morning in New York. But the boisterous billionaire and Republican presumptive nominee for president remained center stage.

Standing behind a lectern with only his name emblazoned on the front, Trump spoke for nearly 30 minutes, roughly three times as much as the former congressman joining the Republican ticket.

"I am here today to introduce the man who will be my partner in this campaign and the White House," Trump said near the beginning of his speech, then delved into several subjects before turning to Pence. The presidential candidate addressed the terrorist attacks in Nice, France, and the attempted coup in Turkey as well as a host of domestic issues.

Once Trump returned to the task at hand, he rebutted reports he was unsure about picking Pence.

"Indiana Gov. Mike Pence was my first choice," Trump said. "I've admired the work he's done."

Pence reciprocated the praise, comparing Trump to one of America's most popular presidents.

“Donald Trump understands the frustrations and the hopes of the American people like no leader since Ronald Reagan," Pence said as he began his remarks. 

Tasked with introducing himself to the country, Pence took a low-key approach. "I'm a pretty basic guy," Pence said. "I'm a Christian, conservative and a Republican in that order." 

“I’m really just a small town boy who grew up in southern Indiana," he said, "with a big family and a cornfield in the back yard.”

For their part, Democrats immediately criticized the choice. "He's Donald Trump with a different haircut," Hillary Clinton tweeted about Pence on Friday, shortly after the pick was announced. 

Clinton campaign press secretary Brian Fallon criticized a perceived lack of energy at Saturday's event. "Trump's steaks got a better rollout than Mike Pence," Fallon tweeted. 

Trump cited Pence's standing among conservatives as a factor in picking the governor, who made headlines by defending a controversial religious freedom law in Indiana in 2015. "One of the reasons is party unity, I have to be honest,” Trump said. 

Pence is dropping his bid for re-election as governor to become the Republican vice presidential nominee. "He would have won, I think, very easily in Indiana," Trump said in reference to Pence's re-election chances. 

Trump praised Pence's record as governor of Indiana, including his role in the state's economic recovery, balanced budget, increased education funding, lower taxes and improved infrastructure.

“The turnaround and the strength of Indiana has been incredible, and I learned that when I campaigned there,” Trump said. 

Indeed, Trump's win in the Indiana Republican primary cemented his status as the presumptive nominee. Trump won the state despite Pence endorsing his rival Ted Cruz, which Trump acknowledged Saturday. The candidate claimed he appreciated that Pence praised him despite supporting Cruz.

“It was the single greatest non-endorsement I’ve ever had in my life,” Trump said.

Pence explained the main reasons he was joining a candidate he didn't support during the primaries.

“I answered this call for two reasons," he said. "First, because I know from firsthand experience that strong Republican leadership can bring about real change, just like we’ve seen in the Hoosier state. And secondly, because Hillary Clinton must never become President of the United States of America.”

Pence then pivoted into the traditional attack-dog role of the running mate, attacking Hillary Clinton repeatedly on foreign and domestic policy issues.

However, Trump's new running mate closed the event with a call for unity and a return to the campaign's core message.

“Let’s come together as a party and a people and a movement to make America great again,” Pence said.