SEC coaches honor pair of South Carolina seniors

Senior placekicker Elliott Fry and senior offensive tackle Mason Zandi were elected to represent South Carolina in the preseason All-SEC team by the league's coaches. Fry was named to the second team at his position and Zandi earned a spot on the third team.

While the physical differences between Zandi and Fry are staggering, Zandi is listed at 6-foot-9 and 315-pounds while Fry is 6-feet and 170-pounds, both seniors are similar in that they arrived at school with minimal fan-fare and have elevated their game to the point where now the whole league is taking notice.

Zandi was just a two-star prospect out of the prep ranks but now is a versatile stalwart that has been asked to play both left and right tackle. His performance this year will be essential to the offense's success as the leader of the offensive-line.

Fry was a walk-on in 2013 but then earned a spot on the SEC All-Freshman team. Last season, he was South Carolina's leading point scorer with 85 total points. On field goals he converted 20 of 28 attempts and was perfect on his extra-point attempts. Against the University of Central Florida he recorded a career best 52-yard field goal.

While the selections of Zandi and Fry were nice acknowledgments of each player's improvement during their time at South Carolina, it is also important to note that only Missouri had fewer representatives than the Gamecocks.