Columbia native Aziz Ansari wins Emmy

Aziz Ansari arrives at the 68th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles on Sunday, Sept. 18, 2016. (Kirk McKoy/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

South Carolina native Aziz Ansari and his partner Alan Yang won an Emmy for their Netflix show “Master of None" at the 68th Emmy Awards Ceremony Sunday night.

During the ceremony, which was hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, Ansari and Yang were awarded the Emmy for writing in a comedy series against competition that included writers of “Silicon Valley” and “Veep.”

Before going to New York for school and breaking into the city’s comedy scene, Ansari grew up in Bennettsville, SC. Ansari went on to further make a name for himself playing the character Tom Haverford in the popular show “Parks and Recreation.” Ansari has been nominated for a variety of awards through his stand-up acts and his work in “Parks and Recreation” and “Master of None.”

Other winners of the night included “Game of Thrones” for best drama series, “Veep” for best comedy series, Rami Malek from “Mr. Robot” for best lead actor in a drama series and Tatiana Maslany from “Orphan Black” for best lead actress in a drama series. John Oliver’s “Last Week Tonight” took home the award for best variety talk series and “Key & Peele” won best variety sketch series.

“The People v O.J. Simpson” emerged as the biggest winner of the night with five wins including lead acting awards for Sarah Paulson and Courtney B. Vance and a supporting acting award for Sterling K. Brown. “Game of Thrones” was close behind with three awards including the aforementioned best drama series award as well as a writing award for David Benioff and D.B. Weiss and a directing award for Miguel Sapochnik, who directed the “Battle of the Bastards” and “The Winds of Winter” episodes.

The 10-episode first season of Ansari’s “Master of None” is available on Netflix, and the series has been renewed for a second season that is expected to show next year.