Labor Day weekend events in and around Columbia

Labor Day weekend, a three-day stretch at the beginning of every school year, has the potential to be perfect for traveling and mildly exotic adventures. For the rest of us, Columbia has plenty of events Friday through Monday to keep those sticking around busy with exciting events and shows.

Friday:

Big Mo Triple Feature

The Monetta Drive-In is hosting its Labor Day Weekend Triple Feature, with three different screens playing three movies each. The main screen will be showing “Finding Dory,” “The Secret Life of Pets” and “Star Trek Beyond.” The second screen will be showing “Captain America: Civil War,” “Suicide Squad” and “X-Men Apocalypse.” The third screen will be showing “Men in Black,” “Ghost” and the 1989 version of “Batman.” The gates open at 6:30 p.m., and the first movie for each screen begins between 8:15 and 8:30 p.m. Admission is $8 for adults, $4 for kids under 11, and free for kids three years old or younger. Viewers are not allowed to switch screens once the movies begin.

Saturday:

Famously Hot SC Pride Festival

Columbia will be hosting its 27th annual South Carolina Pride Festival on Saturday, Sept. 3. The parade will begin at 12 p.m., and the festival will begin at 1 p.m. The 2015 event garnered 35,000 people, a crowd larger than any one-day event in the entire state, and this year shouldn't disappoint. Jordin Sparks will be performing at the event, as well as J Sutta from The Pussycat Dolls and Erika Jayne from The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, among others.

Sunday:

Cornelia Freeman Concert Series

The Freeman Concert Series, named for Cornelia Freeman, is a series of concerts that has been raising scholarship money for music students for over 20 years. Sunday will feature compositions from soloists playing piano, violin and baritone. Tickets are $5 for USC students, $15 for adults and $10 for seniors and USC faculty and staff. The concerts are held in the USC School of Music Recital Hall at 3 p.m. on Sundays and will continue throughout the semester.

Monday:

Columbia Fireflies Baseball Game

The Columbia Fireflies will be playing against the Charleston Riverdogs at 7:05 p.m. Monday night. The baseball team will be playing at Spirit Communications Park, a short drive from USC’s campus. It is the final game of their season and tickets are $5 to $10, with $2 off All-Star and Reserved Tickets with Military ID.

Chapin Labor Day Parade

A short drive from Columbia, the town of Chapin is having their 37th annual Chapin Labor Day Festival and parade starting at 9:30 a.m. Both the festival and parade are free. After the parade, there will be a classic car show as well as a children’s carnival and a cupcake-eating contest. Live music will be on the Beaufort Street stage featuring Cash Money, and the Chapin Public Library will have its annual book sale in the Chapin Town Hall.