Thin South Carolina secondary thrives on preparation, execution

Junior cornerback Chris Lammons was ejected for throwing punches at Tennessee receiver Jauan Jennings. Junior safety D.J. Smith exited the game for targeting in the fourth quarter. South Carolina’s secondary rallied to play arguably their most complete game of the season.

After giving up 247 yards and three touchdowns through the air against the Massachusetts Minutemen last weekend, the South Carolina pass defense responded well against Tennessee. The Gamecocks held Volunteers’ quarterback Josh Dobbs to under 100 yards passing well into the fourth quarter.

Heading into the game, Dobbs was coming off of his worst performance of the year. He was limited to only 92 yards on 16 completions against Alabama two weeks ago. South Carolina's defense was able to do more of the same this week. Dobbs finished up with 161 yards passing, only completing 12 of 26 throws with a score and two interceptions.

Efficient coverage in the secondary, coupled with solid pressure from the defensive line, was the key for pass defense. Despite Lammons’ ejection in first quarter, the Gamecocks’ secondary was still able to keep Dobbs’ numbers low. One to single out in the secondary would be junior defensive back Jamarcus King. After the ejection of Lammons, King rallied the secondary.

“I just pretty much told the corners we had to step up, and the next man up has to make plays,” King said. “We were playing for Chris (Lammons).”

King had an interception in each half, running his total on the year to three. On his first interception, he leaped to pick-off an underthrown ball by Dobbs.

“Coach T-Rob and Coach Muschamp put us in good position with a good call. It was a cover two call, so they already knew what was coming. They put me in position to make the play,” King said.

The pick set the Gamecocks up in Volunteer territory, allowing Jake Bentley and the South Carolina offense to retake the lead in the second quarter.

King then added to his total on the night, undercutting a seam route to intercept Dobbs at mid-field late in the fourth quarter.

“I just split the zone, and he threw the ball after staring him down,” King said.

The interception allowed the Gamecocks to run out precious time before giving Tennessee the ball back with under a minute remaining.

South Carolina head coach Will Muschamp praised King after the game.

“Jamarcus is instinctive. He's got length. He has all the physical attributes we like.” Muschamp said. “He’s been a very coachable guy since he’s been here. He’s a guy that goes out and works; he listens.”

The pass defense benefited from pressure by the defensive line to hurry Dobbs. South Carolina’s defense only recorded two sacks on the night, but shut down Dobbs in the run game, allowing only one big run.

Senior linebacker T.J. Holloman credited the game plan against Dobbs for the success.

“Our game plan was to come in and shut down the run and make Dobbs beat us throwing the ball,” Holloman said. “As we saw today, our defensive line got after him and he had a lot of problems trying to get the ball.”