Gameday guide for Gamecock fans in Clemson

As Gamecocks flock to the agrarian town of Clemson this Saturday, I thought it would be helpful to put together a list of the best places to visit on your tour through the town and university. While Google lists only a few points of interest in the town, I’ll help to make your grand tour longer than a whole 15 minutes. 

Botanical Gardens

An actual scenic part of Clemson, the botanical gardens started after states’ rights zealot John C. Calhoun donated land. A main-stay on Clemson students’ Instagram, the field of sunflowers is worth checking out.

You can ponder life outside of the SEC while you walk along the nature trail or compare the merits of Clemson’s manure analysis program against the Darla Moore School of international business. 

Also, all the pretty flowers will distract you from the mud you’re standing in.

Bi-Lo

Bi-Lo is a great store for all of your shopping needs and a hub of Clemson life. Choose from a wide variety of chips and sodas. Maybe get a prescription filled at the pharmacy — you know, to help deal with the orange-induced headache.

Bowman Field

A central location on campus, Bowman is where you’ll head to find the best tailgates — and inspiration. Students even find encouragement from the grassy lawn.

“One time I saw this dog on Bowman field and it only had two legs but it was still playing fetch with two nubs and it was so inspirational,” a Clemson student who wished to remain anonymous said. 

Whether you’ll find that kind of motivation remains to be seen, but keep an eye out for the “champion” of Clemson.

Tiger paw roads

All six roads into Clemson have bright orange paws leading you in. You’ll get to experience the infamous South Carolina paving jobs first-hand, because you’ll be sitting in traffic for hours.

It will be nice to get up-close and personal with Tiger fans in their pickups and be a part of a three-hour long mannequin challenge.

Hartwell Lake

Almost 8,000 more square miles than our beloved Lake Murray, Hartwell Lake is a haven for swimming and boating. Check out the Clemson Marina and its restaurant, The Grill, for exquisite meals such as fried chicken, fried fish and fried shrimp. 

Clemson’s outdoor recreation department also has a strip of beach for students and guests to enjoy. The beach is a quaint area to hang out and wade into waters filled with catfish. 

A rock

A main attraction at the football stadium, Howard’s Rock is very important to Clemson fans, so approach with caution. Go check it out and try to find out what the big deal about a chunk of granite is — apparently it’s lucky. 

What To Pack

Along with your No. 1 jersey, rally towel and audio recording of “Sandstorm,” make sure to pack these essentials for your day in Clemson.

Earplugs: For when the tigers start to incessantly chant “ALL IN.”

Garnet-tinted glasses: these are for your own safety. The garnet lenses will protect your eyes from the gaudy glare of the sea of orange you’ll have to wade through.

Board games: After you finish your 20 minute grand tour of Clemson, you may have some time on your hands before kick-off, so a never-ending round of Monopoly or game of Go Fish may help to pass the time.