Ring ceremony celebrates students, ends with 'spur-prise'

The My Carolina Alumni Association hosted about 500 students on the historic Horseshoe for USC's largest ring ceremony on Sunday afternoon.

Once they had all received their rings, the alumni association gave the students and their families a pleasant surprise. USC's beloved mascot Cocky trailed behind in the line and received a Carolina ring of his own for the first time ever. 

The traditional ring ceremony began 17 years ago, with just six students receiving their class rings. According to Peggy Binette, assistant director of public relations, over 25,000 graduates have ceremoniously received a ring.

University President Harris Pastides attended the event to present the students with their official Carolina rings. The students were also advised to wear the ring with its insignia facing inward until commencement. Once they graduate, they are to turn the rings outward.

"The ring represents the shared values and traditions that are the spirit of Carolina, and that spirit comes full circle, like a ring, as it is passed on with each graduating class," Binette said.

The ceremony went on with each student walking across a stage as their names are called to receive their ring and shake hands and take a photo with Pastides.

"That's my son!" a woman yelled as one student walked proudly across the stage. 

To conclude the ceremony, students placed their rings on their right hands and joined together for a singing of "We Hail Thee, Carolina," the university's alma mater.

One student to receive his ring was third-year chemical engineering student Joe Markovich, who says it's "nice to take part in the tradition" and see it for himself after having heard a lot about it. 

Third-year biomedical engineering student Rachel Hall also says it feels good to have her ring.

"It feels good. It's like a sense of pride," Hall said. "Even though I'm not graduating for another year, it's nice to have."