Young Gamecock offense falters against elite Florida defense

David Williams broke the goal line on a one-yard run with just under seven minutes to play in the fourth quarter for South Carolina’s only score Saturday afternoon in Gainesville.

The Gamecocks’ offense couldn’t find an early rhythm, failing to pick up a first down through the first quarter. With a total of just 38 yards after the first 15 minutes, the Gamecocks found themselves in an early 7-0 hole.

Despite being without two of its starting linebackers, Florida was able to set the tone right from the start. The Gators defense forced three consecutive three-and-outs to start the game.

It was Florida’s home finale Saturday and the seniors were honored, a group that was recruited to the program by Will Muschamp, who knows first-hand the talent within the unit.

“They have very tight coverage down the field,” Muschamp said. “There's not a lot of open throws when you play against that defense.”

Muschamp and his offense were well aware of the challenge in facing the Gators’ elite defense headed into this one but were unable to find an answer through the first three quarters.

The offensive line was consistently driven back by the Gators’ defensive front and failed to create a push for the Gamecock backfield. South Carolina allowed 12 tackles for loss, five of which were sacks. 

Several dropped passes haunted the Gamecocks and cost the team a chance to get on the scoreboard in the first half.

Florida’s offense came into the matchup struggling but found early success against South Carolina’s defense, reaching the end zone on its first drive in just four plays.

“I feel like we came out a little flat,” linebacker Bryson Allen-Williams said. “We didn’t start as fast as we needed to being on the road playing against a very good team.”

The Gamecocks allowed 372 total yards but benefited from three Florida turnovers to limit the Gators to 20 points.

Florida converted on its first three third down attempts to prolong early drives. The Gators finished 4-10 on third down, but the early conversions set the tone.

“It’s critical to get off the field in those situations,” Muschamp said.

The offense finally found success in the fourth quarter, posting 137 yards and a touchdown after managing just 119 yards and being held scoreless through the first three.

"Regardless of how many points we get down or how flat we played in the first half, there's a lot of effort there from guys," tight end Hayden Hurst said.