South Carolina clinches win over Florida with aid of fans

South Carolina was able to stay undefeated in SEC play after taking down Florida 57-53 late Wednesday night.

Sluggish start on offense 

Both teams started this game off cold, as they stayed knotted at zero for the first 5:48 of the game. During that time, the two teams combined for 12 turnovers, 13 missed shots and five fouls before Florida's Casey Hill was able to jump the passing lane and convert an easy layup on the other end.

The team’s slow starts seemed largely due to the aggressive man-to-man defense of their opponent, and less to their own shooting woes. The Gamecocks were able to force the Gators into a rarely seen 10-second violation during the scoreless opening stretch, and both teams stopped potential opening baskets with blocks at the rim.

Defense makes up for lackluster offense 

When baskets were few and far between and no one seemed able to consistently score, the Gamecocks relied on their defense to keep them in the game. The Gamecocks came out of the half trailing by seven, but were able to hold the Gators to just two points for the first 9:12 of the half. This allowed them the time needed for their still sputtering offense to reclaim the lead, which they did with 13:35 remaining in the half.

“They got into a rhythm and we got into more foul trouble, and now all of a sudden they are living at the foul line,” said Florida’s coach Mike White. “We gotta be able to get off to better starts in the second half.”

This Gamecock defense, which pressured the Florida guards all night, forced the Gators into 13 turnovers. They also held the Gators much below their season average field goal percentage of 46 percent, limiting Florida to 35 percent which included the Gators missing all 17 of their three point attempts. This defensive effort included holding Florida’s leading scorer KeVaughn Allen, who also struggled with foul trouble most of the night, to just one point in 18 minutes. Allen came into the game averaging 13.9 points per game.

Electric Atmosphere

From long before tip off, the fans within Colonial Life Arena were loud and engaged. The student section appeared full to capacity, and most of the upper decks were full. 

Earlier in the week, head coach Frank Martin challenged the students at South Carolina. He told them that he needed them to be “absolutely bonkers.” 

After the game, he praised the student section for answering his call, saying, “They were there early, they were loud, and they never disengaged from the game.”

Next Up

South Carolina’s next game will take place Jan. 21 at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky, where the Gamecocks will look to avenge last year's 27 point loss to the Wildcats.