Gamecocks shut out Presbyterian in second game of Carolina Classic

After winning the first game of its seasoning-opening double-header over the Ohio Bobcats, South Carolina continued its strong start to the season with an 8-0 win over the Presbyterian College Blue Hose in five innings.

After shutting out Ohio in the first game, the pitching remained strong in the second part of the double-header, as freshman Cayla Drotar tossed South Carolina’s second shut out of the day. In her first career start, Drotar allowed just one hit and struck out six batters in five innings pitched, while throwing 84 pitches.

“For Cayla, for her to go out on her freshman debut… you know, I know she was nervous, but I thought she did an excellent job,” said coach Beverly Smith. 

Thanks to six runs scored in the first inning, Drotar was faced with minimal pressure throughout her debut.

Two successive triples from Mackenzie Boesel and Victoria Williams at the top of the order opened the scoring and were key to South Carolina’s hot start. After Krystan White drove in two more runs to bring the score to 4-0 in favor of the Gamecocks, Presbyterian was forced to pull starting pitcher Alex Cook after just 0.2 innings pitched.

White is touting a perfect 1.000 batting average, as she went two-for-two at the plate for her second consecutive game. White’s two-RBI single in the first inning brought her RBI total on the season to six.

“Just before the game, coach talked to me about just making sure I took all my hacks at the plate and not getting cheated out of a swing, so I just went into the box just taking my hacks every time,” White said. 

South Carolina will continue play in the Carolina Classic at 3 p.m. on Feb. 11 against the Longwood University Lancers.