Relay for life kicks off spring fundraising with Party for a Purpose

Party for a Purpose, a Greene Street event sponsored by Relay for Life, brought people together for an energetic hour of music, food, and conversation. Relay for Life is the American Cancer Society’s most publicized fundraising event and takes place each year in the spring. With February being World Cancer Prevention month, it is common for cancer awareness groups to garner the most public support around this time of year. However, it is important to recognize that the American Cancer Society and Relay for Life organizations work year-round to help those battling this pervasive disease. Second-year exercise science major Nicole Hoffner is on the Relay for Life leadership team and was one of the students helping to facilitate Party for a Purpose on Thursday evening.

“It’s a year-long process,” she said. “We’ve been working on it last semester and this semester, and we’re starting to gear up for our main event in April.”

From 5 to 6 p.m., students gathered to register at half-price for Relay for Life’s main event. Many stayed to show their love for the band Tripping on Bricks, who put on a free concert for attendees. The band’s stage presence drew students to the center of Greene Street where they were met by energetic Relay for Life team leaders. One such leader is Rebecca Tucker, a second-year psychology major who is a captain for the Cocky Catholics Relay team. 

“I just think it’s important to raise awareness, raise money for cancer,” Tucker said. “Everybody’s basically been affected by it so we’re just here to help.” 

Among those attending was student body president Michael Parks, who announced that Alpha Chi Omega had donated $1,000 to Relay for Life. This makes them the first Greek life organization to become a corporate sponsor for the event this year. 

While donations play an integral role in raising money for cancer research, the primary sentiment at Party for a Purpose was one of unity: the feeling that showing up to support one another is what makes a movement powerful. 

Second-year marketing major Anna Johnson strongly believes that everybody is impacted by cancer in some way. Johnson is the marketing chair for Relay for Life and has an undeniable passion for the work she does. 

“We always say that everyone is only one degree away from cancer,” Johnson said, meaning that everybody knows someone who has fought the disease. If you missed the kick-off party, there will be more opportunities to show support. Johnson confirmed that there will be at least one more large-scale awareness campaign called Paint the Campus Purple Week in addition to a 24-hour fundraising marathon on March 24.