No. 6 South Carolina stands in the way of history for No. 1 Connecticut

A'ja Wilson goes to make a shot against two UConn players. Wilson came in as a star freshman and has maintained her performance in the years of attending USC.

The South Carolina women’s basketball team is looking to prevent history from being made Monday night against Connecticut, who is eyeing its 100th consecutive victory.

Over recent years, the Gamecocks have enjoyed success never before experienced by the program. In the three seasons prior to 2017, coach Dawn Staley has led the Gamecocks to three regular-season conference championships and just the second-ever appearance in the Final Four.  

Despite these major accomplishments, the Gamecocks have not been able to defeat the Huskies, who have dominated year after year under head coach Geno Auriemma.

You’d have to go all the way back to Nov. 17, 2014 to find the last time the Connecticut Huskies lost. Now, 99 wins later, the Huskies look to extend their record streak and enter unprecedented territory even for them.

The Gamecocks are hoping to avenge back-to-back losses to the Huskies. In 2015, the then top-ranked Gamecocks traveled to Connecticut and dropped a 87-62 decision. They fell at home by a score of 66-54 in 2016.

Standing in the way of history is the dynamic duo of A’ja Wilson and Alaina Coates. The two have anchored the Gamecocks' post, one that is easily one of the best in the nation.

The Huskies’ success has been based on a widespread contribution with four starters averaging in double figures on the season. Katie Samuelson leads the team with 21.3 points per game on average.

The matchup will take place at 9 p.m. Monday at Harry A. Gampel Pavilion, as No. 6 South Carolina hopes to spoil No. 1 Connecticut’s celebration party.