Inexpensive Valentine's Day gifts for broke college students

Valentine’s Day can be pretty confusing. It’s not quite like a milestone month or an anniversary, but there’s always pressure to give a gift.  And when you’re a broke college student, showing that special someone that you’re thinking of them on V-Day can be hard.

With that in mind, one solution to being broke but in love (or in like, as the case may be) is “DIY.” Making your gifts is a perfect way to show your significant other that you care because the effort makes it mean more — even if it isn’t pretty, it’s from you, and that’s what makes it special.

If you want to spoil your valentine without spoiling your finances, here are some fun ideas that won’t max out your February budget.

A handwritten letter

Though this was the norm back when St. Valentine was alive, it’s a sadly dying art in our digital age. Writing down all of your cheesy, mushy feelings on paper can make your significant other’s day, but if you want to keep up with our generation’s norms, a long, heartfelt “good morning” text would probably go over well, too. This pairs well with the ever-popular flowers and chocolates.

Homemade scratch-off cards

It can be “Things I Love About You” or a cute card with redeemable vouchers for things like a back rub or a night in, kind of like the “IOU” coupons you may have given your mom as a kid. Either way, it could be just what your valentine would love. To make your card a scratch-off, mix one part dish soap with two parts acrylic paint, place scotch tape or contact paper over the message, and paint the mixture over the tape. When it’s dry, you can scratch it off with a coin just like a lottery ticket.

A collage or picture

If you and your significant other are avid photographers of your relationship, this could be really simple. You can frame a picture or make a collage; prints of pictures cost 20 or 30 cents at photo centers like Walmart, CVS or Walgreens.

Candy

Chocolates are the standard, but if you want to get creative, find a mug or jar and fill it with your valentine’s favorite candy. You can even add in festive decorations like cut-out hearts, ribbons and a card that has some sort of heartfelt play on words that relates to the candy.