Famously Hot and Hidden: Menkoi Ramen House

Who says eating ramen every day as a college kid can’t be glamourous? If this is your desire, there’s a place hidden in The Vista that offers just what you’re looking for.

Menkoi Ramen House is located at 1004 Gervais St, Columbia, SC 29201. Hidden behind a neon sign that reads “RAMEN HOUSE OPEN," Menkoi is truly one of Columbia’s hole-in-the-wall places.  Andrew Roof, a fourth-year marketing management student says he can’t remember who told him about the ramen house but he has been back multiple times since then.

Menkoi has been open for over four years and finds itself consistently  busy.

I walked in right before 9 p.m. with four people in line ahead of me on a Saturday night, and there was only a 13-minute wait between placing my order and getting my food. There was a constant flow of customers the whole time.  People continued to come in at 10 p.m., ready for some gourmet ramen. Menkoi’s hours allow college students to be college students, open till 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 11 p.m. otherwise. However, they do split lunch and dinner and are closed 2:30 to 5 p.m. daily.

Their menu includes nine types of ramen and five different appetizers, making choosing a meal a little easier, especially for those who are not Japanese food gurus.

Roof thinks the ramen house is really good, preferring the spicy ramen, a best selling entree there.

The atmosphere is very relaxed, and when you walk into the restaurant it stretches much further than you would think. The set-up allows for a lot of space to hang out with larger groups while still being able to work as a more intimate setting.

With a price of just under $15, you can get a drink, and appetizer, and a ramen bowl. The ramen bowls themselves are all under $9 and are pretty difficult to finish in one sitting.

The overall service was fast and the restaurant was clean, definitely a place to check out more than once, or maybe when you need that late night snack.