Famously Hot and Hidden: Sahara on Main

Sahara Mediterranean and Moroccan Restaurant on Main Street

Based on a recommendation from a friend that the hummus is “the best,” I decided to check out one of those unnoticed places across the street from the Honors residence hall at 629 Main Street. Sahara on Main definitely did not disappoint, hummus or otherwise.

Sahara on Main is a little hole-in-the-wall spot within walking distance of the Horseshoe that gives Columbia an authentic taste of Mediterranean food. The menu offers a wide variety of food — everything from salads, kabobs and wraps, to pizza, pasta and burgers.

The atmosphere is very chill, and the decorations are really cute. With a carpet on the wall and colorful lamps, it had a slightly Middle Eastern vibe. They have an abundance of seating, although there were only three or four parties sitting around. The menus and tables weren’t the cleanest, but once you get the food, you forget you were ever worried about that.

The service is fast and the food is tasty. Arriving before 6 p.m. on a Tuesday night, my friend and I placed our orders and received our food in less than 10 minutes. Our waitress double checked our orders and kept our drinks full. We ordered the hummus appetizer, a lamb shawarma on pita bread and a lamb gyro to split between the two of us. The house-made hummus came with house-made pita bread, and It was, in fact, the best. The two entrees tasted fresh and had a lot of wonderful spiced Mediterranean flavor. Paying for the hummus and the shawarma, the total was $15.43 before tax and tip.

It’s a little on the pricier side, especially after tipping your server (which you definitely should because the service was awesome). Although they do have a carry out option if you don’t want to dine in. I wouldn’t recommend you go here every day if you want to keep your bank account happy.

Their hours are 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. and if you’re in need of lunch or dinner that isn’t from Russell House, I would definitely recommend you visit Sahara on Main, but only if you get the hummus, or perhaps only to get the hummus. Either way, Sahara on main does a good job of making authentic Mediterranean food that fills you up.