Four Gamecocks taken in first two days of MLB Draft

Three current South Carolina baseball players and one signee were selected in the first 10 rounds of the MLB Draft. More are expected to be selected today in the final rounds, but let's take a look at the action so far.

Clarke Schmidt, pitcher

Pick: Round 1, No. 16, New York Yankees

2017 stats: 4-2, 1.34 ERA, 70 strikeouts and 18 walks in 60.1 innings as a junior.

The buzz: Had Tommy John surgery in April and won't be able to pitch until 2018... Fastball can reach 96 miles per hour... Strong slider, change-up and curveball... Not expected to return to South Carolina.

Luis Campusano, catcher

Pick: Round 2, No. 39, San Diego Padres

The buzz: Hit .622 with six home runs as a senior at Cross Creek (Ga.)... Top rated high school catcher in the draft class... Not expected to enroll at South Carolina.

Wil Crowe, pitcher

Pick: Round 2, No. 65, Washington Nationals

2017 stats: 6-5, 3.41 ERA, 90 strikeouts and 31 walks in 92.1 innings as a junior.

The buzz: Had a strong bounce-back season after missing 2016 due to Tommy John recovery... Fastball runs up to 97 miles per hour... Curveball is his strikeout pitch... At 22, could be on a fast track to Washington... Not expected to return to South Carolina.

Tyler Johnson, pitcher

Pick: Round 5, No. 147, Chicago White Sox

2017 stats: 1-2, 10 saves, 2.39 ERA, 40 strikeouts and 15 walks in 26.1 innings as a junior.

The buzz: Fastball has been clocked in the triple digits... Struck out 34 percent of batters faced in 2017... Proved starter potential in 2016 Columbia Regional... Not expected to return to South Carolina.