Summer volunteer opportunities available in Columbia

Soda City is Columbia, S.C.'s Main Street market focused on the brain, body, and belly. This event is every Saturday from 9am-1pm year-round, rain or shine. It highlights local businesses, farmers, restraurants, artists, and musicians from around South Carolina.

Summer is a great time for relaxing, taking summer courses or working. However, with a less rigid course schedule and more free time, summer is the perfect time to take advantage of some incredible volunteer opportunities throughout Columbia. Not only does volunteering often provide individuals with a sense of purpose, but it can also look great to potential employers. 

Here are four ways to get involved in community service throughout Columbia this summer.

If you work well with people, and are interested in women and gender studies...

Learn more about: Sexual Trauma Services of the Midlands

STSM is a nonprofit organization that advocates and assists survivors of sexual assault or domestic violence. They aim to educate the community on how to educate and prevent sexual violence. Volunteer advocates at STSM help by accompanying victims of assault to the hospital and providing necessary information and support. In addition, they answer the 24-hour crisis hotline. This is a great opportunity for those looking to volunteer but have nontraditional schedules and availability and that work well with others. After submitting an application online, volunteers must complete a total of 25 hours of training, to ensure proper conduct and treatment.

If you love animals but can't commit to one of your own...

Learn more about: Pawmetto Lifeline

This no-kill animal shelter and animal rescue program is based in Columbia. It houses dogs and cats that were previously abandoned or living in a shelter where they would eventually be euthanized. Since their opening in 1999, the shelter has saved over 25,000 pets. There are myriad volunteer opportunities at Pawmetto Lifeline, from dog walking and cat socialization to transporting animals to necessary medical appointments. If you’re not available to volunteer at a regular schedule but still want to help, you can foster an animal before they find a forever home. Visit the volunteer tab on Pawmetto Lifeline’s website to find the volunteer application.

If you are interested in education or historic preservation...

Learn more about: South Carolina State Museum

Located in the heart of downtown Columbia, the South Carolina State Museum is a great opportunity for students interested in history, education, visual arts or astronomy. The museum offers a flexible schedule and free guest passes. Volunteer opportunities include help with summer camps, gallery monitoring or assistance with monitoring public events. Interested students will start by completing a three hour museum orientation. Contact Jeff Powley at jeff.powley@scmuseum.org for more details.

If you enjoy working with a team...

Learn more about: Harvest Hope Food Bank

This organization currently has three emergency food pantries in Columbia, and they rely on volunteers to help sort and pack food as well as manage client intake. All volunteers must complete a one hour training session that is offered numerous times a month. Other volunteer positions available include administrative staff or product inspection and boxing. Interested individuals can get started by signing up for orientation online.