Small-scale gallery at Tapp's explores impact of size

Tapp’s Art Center will open an exhibit Thursday that explores the significance of small-scale art and its relationship to intimacy and emotion. “Smaller Beckons II” opens July 6 and will be on display through the end of the month. It is a group exhibit that features over 25 local artists, including former Tapp’s Artist in Residence Michaela Pilar Brown.

Each work in the collection is under 35 square inches. This size constraint is the basis of the entire project. The nature of small works requires a close perspective and an eye for detail. While the artists were limited by size, the medium of their work was left open ended. Pieces in the gallery include sculpture, painting, literary art and animation.

Wilson Bame, the venue and operations director at Tapp's, noted the contrast between the previous project on display.

"The last show that we had in the previous month was made up of really large metal sculptures," Bame said. "This is a nice sense of division between the very large and the very small ... With these smaller shows you really have to get up close and personal."

“Smaller Beckons II” is a revisitation of a previous project three years ago.

“I am so thrilled to revisit this show. It was the first exhibition that we produced when I began my position at Tapp’s in 2014,” executive director Caitlin Bright said. “With three years of experimentation, growth and learning under our belts, we felt now was the perfect time to reminisce on where we began and where we’ve journeyed. The Tapp’s team has built a huge thriving community of artists and creators that make this art center a dynamic exciting forum for artistic engagement.”

The gallery is free and open to the public at Tapp’s from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.