The Nick pays tribute to legendary director with screening of "Stop Making Sense"

What: “Stop Making Sense” // Sound & Vision

Where: The Nickelodeon, 1607 Main St.

When: July 29, 10:30 p.m.

Tickets: $11

Jonathan Demme was the iconic filmmaker responsible for the creation of many American cult classic films, including “The Silence of the Lambs,” “Philadelphia” and “Rachel Getting Married.”  He also produced numerous documentaries highlighting artists such as Justin Timberlake, Bruce Springsteen and Kenny Chesney.

The Nickelodeon Theatre is paying tribute to Demme’s life and career in conjunction with a nationwide Art House Theatre “Celebrate Demme” event. The latest installment of the Sound & Vision series will feature one of Demme’s lesser known films, “Stop Making Sense.” The documentary follows The Talking Heads in 1984 just after they reached major commercial success with the album “Speaking in Tongues,” featuring the wildly popular single “Burning Down the House.”

Marketing coordinator at the Nick, Pauline Arroyo, explained why the film was selected to be included in the Sound & Vision series.

“Stop Making Sense, the legendary Talking Heads concert film, was chosen for our Sound & Vision series partly because of its iconic status as a film that defined a genre and partly in honor of the passing of the film's director, Jonathan Demme,” Arroyo said. “The Sound & Vision series aims to screen films that exemplify the marriage between music and film, and we felt that Jonathan Demme and especially Stop Making Sense fit that theme to a T."

On July 29 the Nick will screen “Stop Making Sense” with a performance from Columbia-based, experimental punk band Ugly Chords.

“The Ugly Chords are strongly influenced by Talking Heads and are an active and inclusive band in the Columbia Music scene," Arroyo said. "One of the cornerstones of the Sound & Vision series is to give a platform to these types of local bands and to demonstrate the ongoing connection between different artists across eras, genres, and location."

Upcoming films to be included in the series are: “Madonna: Truth or Dare,” “Decline of Western Civilization Part 1” and “Soul Power.”