Big entertainment events in Columbia this semester

Stay updated on the events coming to Columbia in the upcoming months.

Aug. 21

Solar Eclipse

The eclipse will take place at 2:41 p.m. on Monday afternoon and will last for about 2 minutes.  There are over 120 festivals and events taking place over eclipse weekend throughout Columbia.  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity that you don’t want to miss.

Sept. 14 - 17

Greek Festival

This year marks the 31st annual Columbia Greek Festival, hosted by the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral downtown. The festival includes vendors, food trucks and educational tours of the cathedral. This unique cultural experience is free to the public, and takes place 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and noon to 8 p.m. Sunday.

Sept. 30

Sound & Vision - Madonna

Sound & Vision is a special series hosted by art house theater The Nickelodeon. The Nick screens a musical documentary that is preceded by a performance of a local band. This screening will feature “Madonna: Truth or Dare,” as director Alek Keshishian follows the pop icon on her controversial 1990 tour. The event will feature a live performance from Ahomari.

Oct. 11 - 22

South Carolina State Fair

The annual fair is a staple of South Carolina culture. Its arrival signifies the start of fall and the prospect of cooler weather. Enjoy fried foods, rides and carnival games. Monday, Oct. 16 college students with valid ID may enter the fair for free.

Oct. 17

Foo Fighters - Colonial Life Arena

This classic rock band has toured all over the world and will play a show in Columbia in mid-October.  Tickets cost $52 - $102.

Oct. 20

Spoon at Music Farm Columbia

For those who are more involved in the indie/alternative music scene, Spoon will play a show at Music Farm Columbia. The venue is standing room-only, general admission and tickets are $30.

Oct. 20 - 21

South Carolina Pride Festival

This year will be the largest SC Pride Festival to date, and it will also be the first time the festival kicks off at night. Expected to bring 55,000 guests, the festival will also feature veteran queens from “Ru Paul’s Drag Race.” More info regarding festival entertainment will be posted on the pride festival website.

Oct. 28

The Weeknd : Starboy - Colonial Life Arena

Modern pop/R&B superstar will play at Colonial Life Arena this October. Tickets cost $39 - $345.