Defensive back Javon Charleston receives surprise scholarship

When defensive back Javon Charleston first arrived in Columbia two years ago, he told his roommates he had one main goal: earning a football scholarship. 

That goal came true after the Gamecocks’ student-open practice at Williams-Brice Stadium on Tuesday when the redshirt sophomore was awarded a football scholarship from head coach Will Muschamp.

“It was a relief, honestly, because it was one of my biggest goals coming here two years ago when I stepped on campus,” Charleston said. “It was kind of a relief to get that out the way and now I can just focus on football.”

The official Gamecock Football Twitter account released a video of the announcement, which has received more than 1,000 retweets and counting. 

“I watched it a couple times," Charleston said. "My Twitter went crazy after that, and until recently. Now, it’s kind of slowing down. I watched it a couple times. People were sending it to me and telling me how proud of me.”

Charleston’s parents were both present for the announcement, coming onto the field after practice to hug and congratulate him. 

“I didn’t have any idea, but I did see my dad walk on the field towards the end,” Charleston said. “I was trying to figure out why he was coming on the field. I was trying to signal over to him like ‘No! Back in the stands.’ But it was really cool.” 

Charleston’s friends and family weren’t the only ones who were proud of the work he put in to earn a scholarship. His teammates also shared their congratulations. 

“I was on the field, and I’m thankful that he was able to get a scholarship,” offensive lineman Zack Bailey said. “He’s worked his butt off and he’s earned it, so I commend him for all of his hard work and effort. As a scholarship person, seeing guys that are walking on and putting in the time as well as the classroom. A lot of those guys have to keep their GPA to a certain minimum just to keep their like pell grants and scholarships and things of that sort, so I applaud him.” 

Last season, Charleston primarily played on special teams, recording 10 tackles over 13 games. He was moved from wide receiver to defensive back during last year’s fall camp. His best performance came against Missouri, in which Charleston made two special teams tackles for the second straight week and was named Special Teams Player of the Game, according to GamecocksOnline. 

The 6-foot, 189-pound Charleston earned a letter for his work on special teams last season, and is working with the second safety unit this fall. 

Running back A.J. Turner lives in the room next door to Charleston on campus and said the two talk frequently. He said Charleston is constantly seen working out and attending meetings to learn more about the game, making the scholarship well-deserved. 

“Being an unselfish player, he could’ve very well could’ve been like ‘Hey coach, I feel like I should go somewhere else. You know, you’re changing my primary position,'’’ Turner said. “He’s been a good sport about it, and we’re just grateful to have him.”