Linebacker Skai Moore returns from injury for senior season

The news of linebacker Skai Moore’s injury was tough for USC fans to swallow last season.

But Gamecocks can exhale this season now that Moore is back and better than ever, according to head coach Will Muschamp.

“I think he had a great spring,” Muschamp said. “He probably feels like he’s been in the best shape he’s been in. He’s up to 225 pounds. He’s moving extremely well. I think I’m expecting him to play extremely well.”

Moore was the Gamecocks’ leading tackler for three straight seasons before missing the entire 2016 season with a herniated disc in his neck that required surgery. Prior to his injury, Moore was named to Athlon’s preseason second-team All-SEC and was a second-team All-SEC selection by the Associated Press and SEC coaches.

He finished his junior year campaign with 111 total tackles, ranking third in the SEC with 9.2 tackles per game, according to GamecocksOnline. Not to mention, he became the first USC player to reach 100 tackles in one season since 2006, recording double figures in six games in 2015.

At 6-foot-2 and 225 pounds, Moore is known for his speed and will remain at the weak-side position this season. Senior Bryson Allen-Williams and sophomore T.J. Brunson will start beside him.

“It’s a lot of talent, I mean, between us three,” Moore said. “We’re going to run around and hit. Good amount of experience. I think we have a lot of talent. It’s going to be a special year, definitely, at linebacker for us.”

Muschamp hopes the pair of seniors — Moore, who was a team captain his junior year, and Allen-Williams, who is known for his vocal leadership — can help guide the five freshman linebackers who joined the squad this season, including Sherrod Greene, Davonne Bowen, Cole Davis, Alex DeLoach and Sean McGonigal.

“They are two very well-respected guys within the locker room,” Muschamp said. “They are two experienced players and productive players as well. In order to be a leader, you got to be a productive guy. You can’t be a guy running your mouth all the time but not make any plays. Those guys do lead by example by how they prepare, how they practice and how they go about their business, but they are very productive.”

Moore is itching to take his first in-game snap in more than a year during the Gamecocks’ season opener against NC State at Bank of America Stadium. He’s fared well in the Queen City before, snagging two interceptions in the season opener against North Carolina there in 2015. His interception of quarterback Marquise Williams’ pass on a fourth and goal from the 8-yard line helped secure USC's 17-13 win.

“I was just watching your friends, your teammates running around there doing what they love. I love the game, so [sitting out] was difficult,” Moore said. “I tried my best just to motivate them and get them through, but I’m happy to be back, for sure.”