Offensive line coach: Malik Young winning left tackle position battle

Four of USC's offensive line positions were already locked up, and position coach Eric Wolford suggested Tuesday that the Gamecocks have found their left tackle as well.

Junior Malik Young, who played right tackle last season, had been battling with junior college transfer Dennis Daley, but Wolford gave the edge to the more experienced Young.

“Dennis has been inconsistent, which you would expect from a new player,” Wolford said of the 6-foot-6, 319-pounder. “At times, he flashes like the guy we expect him to be. A lot of players flash. The thing is, who can consistently play for 75 snaps, 80 snaps when you are going fast and you’re tired and it’s hot out. This is a detail-oriented position.”

Daley admitted Tuesday that he doesn't feel that he's ready to be a starter because of the learning curve of the team's offensive system. Wolford pointed to Young's work ethic as another factor that gave the incumbent the edge.

“Right now, Malik plays harder than him on a consistent basis,” Wolford said. “Malik plays hard. That son of a gun will play hard, but you have to keep pushing him too. All these guys you have to keep pushing."

Wolford seemed comfortable with his unit, reiterating his confidence in returning starters Zack Bailey, Alan Knott and Cory Helms. However, the line will be tested right away in the season opener in a matchup with the NC State defensive front, one of the nation's best. 

“Those guys have done a good job recruiting," Wolford said of NC Srate. "Every pro scout that comes in here talks about all those defensive linemen they have and what a great matchup because that’s what we’re going to face when we play in the SEC. It’s going to be a preview of what we can expect to come up.”