Sherrod Greene standing out among inexperienced linebackers

default sports
default sports

Will Muschamp has been very clear that there's no established linebacker depth on the South Carolina defense this season, but he's been encouraged by what he's seen from one freshman in particular early in camp.

Inside linebacker Sherrod Greene has impressed coaches and players through the early days of camp. He comes up first when Muschamp and defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson talk about young standouts, and he's getting praise from his fellow linebackers as well.

“He’s probably one of the faster linebackers that we have right now..." said T.J. Brunson, one of South Carolina's three experienced starters. "From the newcomers, he’s definitely turned some heads.”

Speed is crucial for Greene, who is the team's second-heaviest linebacker at 223 pounds. A former three-star recruit who picked the Gamecocks over Alabama, Greene racked up 250 tackles over his last two seasons at Rocky Mount High School in North Carolina, claiming a state title as a junior.

Greene has been working with the second-team through the start of fall camp, but he struggled with a one-on-one blocking drill during the first week. The 6-foot-1 freshman faced a lot of run-based offenses in high school, so he's still adjusting to SEC spread looks.

“He’s definitely got to get used to playing in space,” Brunson said. “He’s definitely going to be fine.”

Behind Greene, other newcomers are looking to make the leap, including JUCO transfer Eldridge Thompson and freshman Damani Staley, both of whom are going through position changes. Thompson is trying to bulk up after playing safety in high school, and Staley is making the jump from playing defensive end.

“Eldridge Thompson is a guy,” Robinson said. “Damani (Staley) is a guy that’s coming along. We moved Davonne Bowen inside ... It’s a lot of stuff we’re throwing at them, so when we saturate it to a gameday, gameplan-type deal, then it will be better.”

The Gamecocks have three more freshman linebackers listed on the roster in Cole Davis, Alex DeLoach and Sean McGonigal, but it's Greene, Staley, Bowen and Thompson who should be the next guys up behind the three starters.