Top 10 Gamecock gameday essentials

Picture this: You show up to your first Gamecock football game, only to find you've forgotten your CarolinaCard or that your bag is way too big to take into Williams-Brice Stadium. Kickoff is minutes away, and you're going to miss it. 

To make sure this doesn't happen — and that you have a great first tailgate, too — remember to bring these 10 gameday essentials.

1. CarolinaCard

Your CarolinaCard acts as your ticket to getting into all USC sporting events, including Gamecock football games. If you’ve claimed a ticket via Student Account Manager, make sure you get it scanned at the game or you could lose access to all tickets for the rest of the season. 

2. Cowboy boots

Cowboy boots are the go-to shoe choice at football games for female students. Paired with a black or garnet dress, cowboy boots are a comfortable form of footwear that will survive those long hikes from the tailgating lots to the Williams-Brice entrance. Pro tip: Wear long, thick socks with your boots to avoid getting blisters.

3. Black dress

The black dress is not only a fashion staple for everyday life, but also for Gamecock football games. Female students love pairing black dresses with cowboy boots and other accessories to create a comfortable yet stylish gameday look. Garnet dresses, jerseys and USC t-shirts are also popular gameday apparel options.

4. Gamecock Polo

For male students, a Gamecock polo is equivalent to the black dress for female students at football games. It’s a classic apparel option for USC football games. From black, garnet and white polos to multiple different logos, the University of South Carolina Official Bookstore sells a wide variety of polos at affordable prices.

5. Clear bag

Beginning last year, the USC Athletics Department has implemented a clear bag policy for all ticketed athletic events. The policy, which will continue this year, limits the size and type of bags that are accepted into sporting events, including football games. The approved bags include "clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags that do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12" ... one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag[s] ... small clutch bags no larger than 4.5" x 6.5".” Certain medical items are allowed but must undergo inspection at specified gates.

6. Gamecock face tattoos

Temporary Gamecock tattoos are an easy and affordable way to accessorize at football games. They won’t get in your way when you’re jumping up and down and waving your rally towel during Sandstorm. Plus, they look great in up-close pictures and selfies. Packs are available at the university bookstore.

7. Cold beverages

Columbia isn’t dubbed “famously hot” for nothing. It’s crucial to stay hydrated during the first month of the season when temperatures are still in the high 80s to low 90s. Along with sweet tea and other refreshments, make sure to bring a jug of water to your tailgating party.

8. Bojangles

Students love chowing down on fried chicken, seasoned fries and made-from-scratch biscuits before, during and after USC football games. Not to mention, washing it down with a large sweet tea. With a store at 1130 Bluff Road, Bojangles is located within walking distance of Williams-Brice stadium. The 4,300-square-foot restaurant is open on Saturdays from 5:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.

9. Visor/Sunglasses with a strap

Don’t let the sun ruin your view of the Gamecock football action on the field. Sunglasses and visors are key for witnessing all of the gridiron action, especially during day games in the early months of the season. No matter what time the games started, visors became an increasingly popular accessory among male fans during coach Steve Spurrier’s tenure.

10. Corn hole

Corn hole is the classic college football tailgating competition and is widely popular in the Memorial Lot near Williams-Brice. The game, also called bags, dummy boards, bean bag toss or Baggo, involves players take turns throwing bean bags at a raised platform with a hole at the end. Throwing the bag in the hole scores three points, while throwing one on the platform scores one. Play continues until a team or player reaches 21 points.