What to expect from Gamecock defense in 2017

After a much improved 2016 under then first-year head coach Will Muschamp, the South Carolina defense looks to continue to make strides this season. Let’s take a look into what to expect from the Gamecock defense in 2017.

Muschamp and Robinson effect

Muschamp is known to be a defensive-minded football coach. He and defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson have been together since Muschamp’s coaching days at Florida. Robinson followed him to Auburn as well. They have assembled strong defenses together and could have another one this season with a more experienced group of Gamecocks.

A strong secondary

Returning starters and new star-potential hopefuls, the Gamecock secondary is projected to be solid. Upperclassman cornerbacks Jamarcus King (senior), Chris Lammons (senior) and Rashad Fenton (junior) all return for the Gamecocks. King and Fenton will work the outside this season, while Lammons transitioned to safety this offseason. That leaves an open spot for Jamyest Williams, one of South Carolina’s top recruits, to make a splash at cornerback. Look for Williams to play in the nickel position a majority of this season. D.J. Smith also returns as the Gamecocks’ top safety. This unit has a lot of experience plus a fresh face in Williams with a ton of potential, giving them the opportunity to excel in the SEC

Moore returns to help out a thin linebacker unit

He’s back. After a much-anticipated return from a neck injury that cost him his entire 2016 season, linebacker Skai Moore is set to return for the defense. Moore led the team in tackles from 2013 through 2015 and has 11 career interceptions, which is three shy of South Carolina’s career record. He is a production machine, and his return couldn’t come at a better time, considering South Carolina’s thin linebacker depth. Moore will start alongside senior Bryson Allen-Williams and sophomore T.J. Brunson. Regaining Moore is already a step up from the 2016 unit. This year’s starting linebackers will be strong, but the backups are unproven and shaky.

Defensive line will struggle

Last season’s top pass rusher Darius English is gone, and so is his counterpart Marquavius Lewis. English led the team in sacks with nine and was the only player on the team with more than two. Who is going to have to pick up where English left off as a pass rusher? Look for 6-foot-4, 251-pound D.J. Wonnum to turn some heads as a pass rusher. Wonnum flashed a ton of potential as a true freshman last season, finishing with 1.5 sacks, 32 tackles and 3.5 tackles for loss. With a year of experience under his belt, should only improve on the defensive line. Seniors Dante Sawyer and Taylor Stallworth also return to help the Gamecocks improve on their 21 total sacks last season. 

Overall, the defense should be much improved this season for the Gamecocks. They have proven talent in the secondary, some playmakers at the linebacker position and hopeful potential at the defensive line. If all goes well and key starting players stay healthy, the Gamecocks could be one of the more feared defenses in the SEC.