Football preview: Gamecocks open SEC play against Missouri on Saturday

The South Carolina Gamecocks will travel to Columbia, Missouri, to take on Missouri in an early season SEC East showdown.

Both teams are coming off big wins in different ways; South Carolina survived a late drive from N.C. State and Missouri scored 72 points against Missouri State. As far as playmaking goes, this matchup is predicted to make for an interesting game. 

The Gamecocks and Tigers both have the ability to make big plays. USC standout wide receiver Deebo Samuel scored three touchdowns last week, including an opening drive kickoff return and an incredible one-handed toe-tapping touchdown reception. Samuel could potentially see an increased workload, according to head coach Will Muschamp at his weekly press conference on Tuesday.

“Again, he’s a guy that is going to have targets in the game and touches," Muschamp said. 

For the Tigers, quarterback Drew Lock looked impressive in his first week, throwing for 521 yards and seven touchdowns. He looked dialed in, and so did wide receivers J’Mon Moore and Johnathon Johnson, who both scored twice and hit the 100-yard receiving mark. Running back Damarea Crockett also put on an eyepopping performance, rushing for 202 yards and scoring twice. The Tigers have an ample amount of firepower and weapons at their disposal. 

How the Gamecocks can win

South Carolina needs to control the ball offensively. The Gamecocks are seeking more balance between rushing and passing, and they need quarterback Jake Bentley to play smart against an inexperienced Missouri secondary. Look for Bentley to have a big game through the air, while making some plays with his legs, like he did against N.C. State. 

Defensively, the Gamecocks need to put pressure on Lock and cash in on turnovers. Lock had an impressive game last week, and the Gamecocks will look to slow him down and make him uncomfortable in the pocket.

How the Tigers can win

Missouri can win this game by simply outscoring the Gamecocks on offense. The Tigers, who put up 72 points last week, have the firepower to turn this game into another shootout.

On the defensive side of the ball, Missouri's young secondary will need to step up against one of the best receiving units in the SEC. Corners DeMarkus Acy and Finis Stribling IV look to rebound from a lackluster performance last week.

With the Mayor's Cup on the line, look for a high scoring matchup between the Tigers and Gamecocks this weekend. Both teams have high powered offenses, but the matchup will come down to which defense can make key plays.