Men's rugby defeats Alabama on road

The South Carolina men’s rugby team didn't let a 90 degree heat index keep it from defeating a hard-nosed, pack-heavy Alabama squad, 34-15, on Saturday. 

With an 11 a.m. kickoff, the games were off to an earlier than normal start. Alabama wasted no time slicing through the South Carolina defense to draw first blood and adding a conversion to go up, 7-0. After some phase play following the kickoff, the Gamecocks were granted a penalty in Alabama territory, leading to fly-half Jacob Powers’ penalty kick to make it, 7-3. 

Alabama gave the Gamecocks an opening when it earned a penalty and a yellow card on the ensuing kickoff. But, with strong defense and a handful of sloppy South Carolina possessions, including a missed penalty, the Tide were back to full strength and unharmed. 

The referees set water breaks at the 20 minute mark as a means of keeping players hydrated in the intense heat. Following the first half water break, Alabama slotted a penalty kick to push the score, 10-3. The score remained for a quiet end of the half, both teams showed signs of point potential, including South Carolina's second missed penalty.

Half time came with neither side capitalizing. 

The Gamecocks shifted positions around half, bringing Mac Stiles in at fly half, international student Hugo Claraz to wing and Powers to fullback. Powers started things off with a penalty kick to slim the margin, 10-6. After repeated penalties, the Gamecocks faced a tough yellow card, bringing them to 14 men. Alabama took advantage, scoring to stretch the lead, 15-6. An unfortunate dump tackle yielded a second yellow in as many minutes. 

Down nine points and two men, and with the game leaning hard toward Alabama, South Carolina found light in outside center Sean Barnes. Barnes confidently called his own number, and found room after a Stiles pass to get in under the post. Powers converted as one of the yellows came back on, and the pendulum began to swing back South Carolina’s way. 

Moments later Cameron Higginbotham bowled across the goal line for his first career try. South Carolina pushed the pace, causing an eventual Alabama penalty. On an intended kick for touch from Powers, the ball stayed in play and found an Alabama wing. The wing countered with a pass, which was intercepted by Powers’ foot and resulted in a chase, try and conversion. 

After multiple phases right on the goal line, Stiles poked a grubber kick through the line and recovered for his first career try, nailing his conversion as well. The quick strike left South Carolina with four tries and 34 points as Stiles kicked to touch for the final whistle.

“It was a hard fought game,” junior scrum-half Daniel Callahan said. "The penalties and lack of ball security killed us, but we know where we need to focus in practice this week.” 

As the old saying goes, it was a tale of two halves, and nothing rang more true in this win for the Gamecocks. 

The Gamecocks will face Florida in their home-opener at Bluff Road Field at 1 p.m. on Saturday.