South Carolina comes from behind to defeat Louisiana Tech

After coming from 13 down, the South Carolina football team knocked off Louisiana Tech 17-16 behind Parker White's game-winning 31-yard field goal.  

The kickers were the main talking point of the first half. Lousiana Tech's Jonathan Barnes made two of his three attempts, including a 52-yarder, while USC’s Parker White missed both of his tries. Also in the first half, Quarterback J’Mar Smith moved the ball effectively for the Bulldogs, completing 11 of his 15 for 110 yards. Running back Ty’Son Williams was the stand-out for the Gamecocks, carrying the ball 10 times for 50 yards. 

The Bulldogs scored the game's first touchdown on their first drive in the third quarter. Smith connected with Teddy Veal for the three-yard score, with Veal catching four passes on the 12-play, 75-yard drive. 

On the next Gamecock possession, Williams fumbled while USC was driving to cut the lead. The Bulldogs drove down the field before Smith made his first mistake of the day, forcing a pass on third down that was intercepted by JaMarcus King. King’s interception, which was his first of the season, kept USC’s deficit at just 13 points to start the fourth quarter. 

The Gamecocks turned King’s pick into points as quarterback Jake Bentley found OrTre Smith with a 28-yard strike to bring USC within a score with just over 11 minutes remaining. 

With 5:32 on the clock, the Gamecocks got the ball back for a make-or-break drive. Bentley found a wide open Bryan Edwards on the first play for a 39-yard gain. That set up Williams to make amends for his earlier fumble, taking it 35 yards to the end zone to tie the game. White's extra point gave USC its first lead of the game, 14-13, with just under five minutes on the clock. 

Louisiana Tech responded to the Carolina touchdown with a drive designed to win the ball game and wind out the clock. Smith connected with Veal for a 42-yard gain and Barnes ended the drive by making a 25-yard field goal. That field goal put the Bulldogs up, 16-14. 

Bentley engineered a drive in response with a chance for White to win the game from 31 yards out. White, who was 0-for-4 on the season in field goal attempts, nailed the kick, giving the Gamecocks a 17-16 victory.

Veal led the way for the Bulldogs with 10 catches for 110 yards and a touchdown, while Williams led the Gamecocks with 95 yards rushing and a touchdown.