Club rugby remains undefeated in conference play

Rugby has a rapidly growing fan base in the United States, specifically at the college level. 

The rugby most Americans are familiar with is the fast-paced sevens games played in the Olympics. At the University of South Carolina, the highest level of play is club, but it is a competitive year-round program. 

The club rugby team competes in the Southeastern Collegiate Rugby Conference (SCRC) in both fifteens in the fall and sevens in the spring. The SCRC is comprised of the same pool of schools that play in the NCAA’s South Eastern Conference, and those die-hard SEC rivalries are alive and well in club sports.

Standings

The Gamecocks are 2-1 on the year (2-0 in conference play) and sit atop the SCRC West standings. They’ve performed as predicted, following a slow start in a tough exhibition loss to Tennessee to begin the year. South Carolina found rhythm in the beginning of conference play, with an impressive come-from-behind victory over Alabama on the road, and a shutout rout of Florida at home. Mississippi State (1-2) will be South Carolina's last test before conference playoffs begin November 4. The tentative championship bracket has South Carolina in the final four along with Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama. 

Age and depth

A key to South Carolina’s success has been the team’s depth. The A side, which is the top tier of the three sides, is anchored by veteran Gamecocks. An impressive freshman class bolsters the club’s B side and provides exceptional depth in all positions. Having numbers has been crucial to the team’s success this season, with injuries plaguing players from the A to C sides. Another aspect not to be overlooked is the team’s age. Only three seniors are featured in the starting lineup, which will leave a strong returning crew next season. The A side is predominantly juniors, but the developmental side coaches work in practice and games to prepare players to move through the system. Many players eventually end up on the A side as upperclassmen. 

Standout players

While every player is crucial during games, a few have stood out so far this fall. Junior captain Micah Stewart has led a fierce South Carolina pack of forwards. With an impressive IQ for the game, Stewart can always be found around the ball directing teammates. Along with Stewart, junior flanker Brandon Holmes is a threat when it comes to poaching and capturing turnovers for the Gamecocks. Holmes brings an unmatched intensity and can be found setting the tone early with bone-crunching hits. A forward to watch is sophomore Thomas MacDonald. In only his second season, MacDonald has rapidly developed with a ton of untapped potential. He’s a menace in the lineouts and makes it hard for other teams to win set pieces. Looking at the backs, wing and captain Chris Harrell, returning SCRC sevens player of the year, looks to finish off an already strong senior campaign with a SCRC 15’s title. Along with Harrell, inside center Sean Barnes is a threat to defenses throughout the conference. He’s nearly unstoppable with the ball in his hands, breaking tackles and waging long runs with ease. To round out the backs, junior scrumhalf Danny Callahan directs traffic in all corners of the field. Having years of rugby experience, Callahan is an unsung hero and strong leader, helping the team get moving offensively, while picking apart opposing defenses. 

The Gamecocks look to finish off a great start to their season in the next month, with the goal of landing atop the SCRC. Follow along on Twitter and Instagram at @cockrugby and check out the team's schedule on its website, www.uscrugby.org