Happy homecoming: Gamecocks defeat Commodores to become bowl eligible

The South Carolina football team (6-2, 4-2 SEC) will not be missing out on a bowl game this season.

Behind three touchdowns from quarterback Jake Bentley and two field goals from Parker White, the Gamecocks defeated Vanderbilt, 34-27, in their Homecoming game at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday.

The Gamecock offense compiled a season-high 212 rushing yards, with A.J. Turner leading the way with 121 and a rushing touchdown, and Bentley scoring his first two career rushing touchdowns. Turner became the first Gamecock to rush for more than 100 yards this season. 

With Saturday’s victory, the Gamecocks have won a program record nine straight against the Commodores and are bowl eligible for the second straight season. 

Here’s how they scored

Q1: South Carolina led Vanderbilt, 14-7.

Kyle Shurmur found Khari Blasingame on a nine-yard pass in the end zone. The point after was good to give the Commodores an early 7-0 lead. Drive summary: 6 plays, 75 yards, 2:54

Jake Bentley dodged two Vanderbilt defenders and rushed 19 yards into the end zone for the first rushing touchdown of his career. The extra point was good, tying the game, 7-7. Drive summary: 5 plays, 75 yards, 1:41  

A.J. Turner punched the ball in from one yard out and the extra point was good, giving the Gamecocks their first lead of the game, 14-7. Drive summary: 10 plays, 64 yards, 3:38 

Q2: South Carolina led Vanderbilt, 24-13.

Kyle Shurmur connected with C.J. Duncan on an 8-yard completion, but the extra point was blocked by D.J. Wonnum. The Gamecocks led 14-13 with 7:25 left in the second quarter. Drive summary: 6 plays, 54 yards, 1:45

Jake Bentley completed a 36-yard pass to wide receiver Shi Smith in the corner of the end zone. The touchdown and made extra point gave the Gamecocks a 21-13 lead with 5:28 left in the half. Drive summary: 5 plays, 75 yards, 1:57

Parker White’s 44-yard field goal gave the Gamecocks a 24-13 lead with 2:51 left in the first half. It was the second longest made field goal of his career, with his longest being 47 yards. Drive summary: 6 plays, 8 yards, 2:15

Q3: South Carolina led Vanderbilt, 31-20.

Rashad Fenton allowed his first career touchdown when Kyle Shurmur connected with Kahlia Lipscomb for a 47-yard touchdown pass. Vanderbilt made the extra point, cutting South Carolina’s lead to 24-20. Drive summary: 3 plays, 70 yards, 1:28 

Jake Bentley scored his second rushing touchdown, dodging defenders on the outside and carrying the ball 11 yards into the end zone. With the extra point, the Gamecocks took a 31-20 lead with 3:54 left in the third quarter. Drive summary: 8 plays, 72 yards, 5:01

Q4: South Carolina defeated Vanderbilt, 34-27.

Parker White kicked a 39-yard field goal, extending South Carolina’s lead to 34-20 with 9:42 left in the fourth quarter. Drive summary: 10 plays, 43 yards, 4:23

Kyle Shurmur completed a 4-yard pass to C.J. Duncan in the end zone, which cut the Gamecocks lead to 34-27 with 4:50 left in the fourth quarter. Drive summary: 14 plays, 77 yards, 4:52