Terry Googer involved in nerve-racking moment for South Carolina

Kyle Field is known as one of the loudest venues in college football.

But for a few minutes on Saturday night, the 96,430 fans who were packed into the stadium to watch the Texas A&M football team take on the Gamecocks could hear a pin drop. 

The breach of sound was caused by an injury to South Carolina wide receiver Terry Googer. After colliding with a Texas A&M player on a punt in the first quarter, Googer was down on the field and couldn’t get up. 

While Googer was lying flat on his back and was being examined by trainers, players from both teams were praying and kneeling on the sidelines. 

Googer’s helmets, jersey and pads were removed before he was placed on a stretcher and carted off the field. During the scary situation for fans and viewers watching on television, Googer received an outpouring of support on social media from former players, along with a round of applause from spectators at Kyle Field. He responded with a thumbs up as he left the field.

According to a report on the SEC Network broadcast, Googer was taken to Baylor Scott & White Hospital in College Station, Texas, and was able to move all of his extremities. Head coach Will Muschamp said Googer was sent to the hospital for precautionary reasons and was able to return to the Gamecocks’ locker room at halftime. 

“Terry’s fine,” head coach Will Muschamp said after the game. “He’s in the locker room right now. Again, it was all precautionary. He was moving everything. He got hit pretty good. They wanted to make sure they checked everything out. The A&M people and our people did an outstanding job.” 

In a statement he Tweeted on Sunday, Googer said he is "recovering" and is hopeful he "will be back soon." He thanked both teams' doctors and the South Carolina coaches for helping him through the "scary moment."

Googer, an Atlanta native and a fourth-year player, is the most veteran player of the Gamecocks’ wide receivers. He made three starts in 11 games in 2016, totaling 66 yards on seven receptions. Last season, he also set a career-high with three catches for 25 yards in a start against Texas A&M, according to GamecocksOnline. He has played in each of the Gamecocks’ five games this season.